LTS Android (Warning - May contain ranting.)

This is a subject which I’m sure has been discussed before, many many times, but well… The discussions I’ve found all seen to have rather skewed priorities.

The thing is, I don’t want to play demanding 3d games, mine bitcoins, or whatever crazy stuff people have their phones doing. It is a phone… Well, a smartphone, but still, if the various manufacturer could simply get into their heads that we don’t actually need 4k displays, Subwoofers and and telephoto zoomlenses in our phones and get them to stop forcing it on us, I think it would all be for the better. Those who want those things will undoubtedly still be able to get it, and the rest of us can then get to own a phone that has a battery that last more than thirty second, and a lifetime more than 30 days.

My current phone will soon celebrate it’s 5 year anniversary, which is impressive, but alas, it is not enough that the hardware is working, the software has to be working as well, and as is, I’m basically not able to install any apps. Not because the phone is not powerful enough to run the apps I want to run, it certainly is, but because there haven’t been an update for my phone in a long time.

So I thought to myself, perhaps it is time to compromise and get a new phone, even though it shouldn’t be necessary. I mean I have the money, so what’s stopping me?
That I’m God damn stubborn, that’s what! I utterly refuse to go spend God knows how much money, because of course any reasonable mid-low end quality phone is nonexistent, on something that’s basically outdated before I even hand over the money, and that I’ll have to replace 6 months down the line, because some asshole CEO don’t think that the fortune I’ve spend entitles me to use my phone any longer than that.

Well, it was good to get that out of the system, but seriously, what are we to do? I’m saying we, because I’m sure I’m not the only one. Just lie down and take it like a man? Well, I’m certainly not doing that, so I’m looking for options. There has to be some.

I’ve been spending a great deal of time, scouring the web, hoping to find something of use, but it seems that even in the best case scenario, you couldn’t expect to be able to use your phone for more than 2 years (you might be able to, you just shouldn’t expect to), that is from the release date, not the purchase date, and that just isn’t good enough.
Then of course there’s the issue of finding something resembling the right hardware, which in my case means the Sony xz1 compact. Oh ya, that right, it’s already ancient, but luckily it had an update, where they basically changed everything I like. It now has an 1080p display instead of an 720p. Why I cannot say, as 720p on that size display is basically retina grade, they moved the fingerprint reader from the convenient placement on the power button to the back, which just means I won’t be using it, but most importantly, they changed the overall design from something simple, clean and comfortably, to the abomination that is the xz2! Yes, I know, I’m ranting again. I just can’t help it.
And the thing is, the xz1 wasn’t even that great to begin with. I had numerous flaw, some rather major ones too, but it was the best fit I could find.
So, why don’t I just buy the xz1 again if I love it so much. Well, forgetting for the moment that it still cost a fortune, I am done compromising, which is why I’ve come here to ask for advice, assuming I can ever stop ranting.

Okay the rant is over.
I’ve looked under every rock I can think of, and I have found nothing. Literally nothing that even come close to helping me out. Seems like people are content with the options of something way over the top, or something from the last millennium, there just isn’t anything in between.

Hopefully you’ll all tell me how wrong I am and what I should do, but if not, I see no other option that to start a kickstarter or something, to provide a proper alternative, only I wouldn’t have the slightest clue where to begin.

Best regards and may your day be better than mine.

Just buy an iphone, get 3-5 years of support (depending on how late into the model life you buy it) and be done with it. There’s no need to turn over any more rocks, the solution is out there staring you in the face.

You say you just want it to do basic stuff, so the “iOS wont’ let me install blah” argument doesn’t apply.Yes, the iphone up front cost is expensive but if you amortize it over 3-5 years is isn’t so bad.

Every iphone i’ve used (3G, 4S, 6 and 7 which i am still running today) has done 2+ years easily and most of them have simply been replaced when i broke them. Secondhand iphones even sell for > $0.

The beef you outline above is exactly why i don’t buy into android personally.

If you don’t want an iphone purely because of some hatred against apple well… i’d suggest to get over it.

Can I get a TLDR?

1 Like

Guy bitching about lack of long term android software support. Can’t find a phone supported for more than 2 years. Despite the iphone being available that does exactly that.

(doesn’t want to do anything special/fancy with phone, so rooting, etc. is moot).

1 Like

Ohhh…

Well in that case, doesn’t the Android One program aim to always push out the latest OS version to the phones that are part of the program?

The Mi A2 lite comes to mind. It has a notch tho. But it is less then $200.

1 Like

Nokia phones are part of the program as well and pretty good bang for the buck. Could always go for the the Pixel that is supported by Google themselves.

1 Like
  1. No need to be rude.
  2. 2 years, if you’re lucky and buy on release date.
  3. Don’t even get me started on Apple and the Iphone. Suffice to say that’ll never happen, and the majority of the apps I want to run aren’t available for Iphone anyway.
  4. I don’t get the last part. I have no issue rooting if that can actually solve the problem.
1 Like

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

I’ll look into what on earth android one is. Never heard about it.

• Not being rude specifically, but you didn’t look very hard (and now you’re stating falsehoods)

• The iphones are on average supported for 5 years from release date. This has been consistent since the 3G at least. You can even get warranty/free repair on them from apple for 3 years. They’re typically on sale for 2 years which means even if you buy one just before apple stop selling them, you still get 3 years of software support, minimum.

• You didn’t mention any specific apps, you said and i quote:

• i mentioned rooting as being irrelevant because of the above statement. And if rooting is irrelevant, an iphone would normally do what you ask. What apps are not available?
1 Like

Yeah the iPhone is a great option if you want long term support, the 5s I think is there currently oldest supported phone (5 years at the moment).

1 Like

Given it supports iOS 12, it will continue to get updates for the remainder of ios 12 support life cycle, so that will be 6 years at least by the time the 5s is done.

I did look very hard, don’t assume otherwise. I might not have been aware what to look for, but that’s a different story.
As I tried to explain, Iphone is not and will never be an option.
The two years come from what I’ve been able to find in regards to android, where you can at best expect 2 years of system updates and 3 years of security updates. If I’m wrong and there are brand/phone with longer support, please do let me know.
No I didn’t mention any specific apps, but it was made abundantly clear that this is about android. Even if the Iphone could work for me, it would still not me an option going down that route. There are so many reasons that I won’t get into here, and I’m not saying android is perfect either, far from it in fact, but those are the options and I chose to go with the lesser of two evils.

How would rooting solve the issues of apps suddenly not being “compatible”? If it does, my problem is solved. Well, the practical one anyways.

If you’re looking for long term support, and don’t want an iphone, you should look elsewhere outside of android. There are no Android phones that offer long term support. It doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Well, if it ain’t android, it doesn’t matter what I buy. Might as well keep what I’ve already got, which is of course the problem.

potentially there’s the Librem 5. But this is vaporware, and even if it does release its unproven, and may likely be dropped for support very quickly.

It will also be something from the last millennium in comparison to modern mobile stacks.

The problem in the mobile world is when you want to add a reasonable expectation of security, stability, support for your device, and you not being the products. While google is trying (and currently not getting far) to give better support to phones, the iPhone is the only phone that hits anywhere close, regardless of your view of Apple.

Others are Chinese spyware riddled android stuff, your the products google stuff, all of which offer a maximum of 2 years of support and maybe a little more on the security updates, or dumb phones. Nothing else really exists, and open source cant complete because you still have the exact same problem google has, chip support.

2 Likes

I am very happy with my (sim unlocked) £300 Nokia 7 Plus

They have committed to three years of updates which I know is still rather ‘meh’ and not LTS

Or you could try a Purism phone next year (if it makes it to market as @Eden mentions) .

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

1 Like