Low-end EPYC (for memory Bandwidth) - Network Video Recording

If I have a memory bandwidth intense application, would an 8-core-count EPYC CPU’s have higher memory bandwidth capacity than say a Ryzen 3950x. I cannot post links, makes sense, but I have some supporting data that the application may become memory intense at a certain point.

Ok, so this is intended to lead up to a “Build a PC” thread, but before I get there I was hoping to get some firm insights into a CPU I have a mind to get for a specific build and why I am hoping it might make a good choice.

I have an i7-2600k currently running a NVR (Network Video Recording) software package called Blue Iris on Windows Pro. This software records video streams from security cameras around the house and I’m quite happy with it, but looking to upgrade with some bonus monies coming soon.

Now the traditional guidance over on some other forums that specialize in this software, is just to buy any old off-lease computer you can afford. However, on the technical end with all the motion detection etc, there is a point of diminishing returns where CPU cores is no longer the bottleneck, memory bandwidth is. So I am hoping to build a replacement NVR, and could choose Ryzen or EPYC (or I guess another Intel), but I plan to get 6-10 years out of it.

I have been doing as much research as I can, and there are some threads and performance data that seems to show the limits of certain CPU’s:

• AMD Athlon II X4 645 ~600 MP/s
  • i7-2600k ~600 MP/s
  • i7-6700 >1500 MP/s
  • i7-4790 ~1800 MP/s
  • i9-7980XE > 2200
  • Ryzen 3950x ~1900 MP/s
  • Xeon CPU E5-2620 (x2) - significantly > 2600 MP/s

At the high end the analysis of the limit was done by someone that had this 3950X CPU over on ipcamtalk.

I thought I had found an option with AMD EPYC Rome 7232P 8-Core because wikichip indicates great memory bandwidth for all EPYC CPUs due to the 8 memory channels on EPYC Rome, but then found a STH article that discussed at least SOME EPYC chips with 1 chiplet (8c) would probably have equivalent to 2-channel performance (so same as Ryzen 2XXX series). I was primarily thinking EPYC 8-core due to price (under 2k system) and the already enormous leap in performance over my i7-2600k that is 8 generations old would be sufficient.

Hoping someone here could just tell me if they know, or could do a Passmark memory test or something to confirm where that processor stands relative to some of the less costly Ryzen options before I waste a bunch of money. Going mostly off the statistics captured here by the BI Helper Tool, I am completely speculating that since Xeon and Extreme processors tend to have higher MP/s throughput, memory bandwidth might be the most likely bottleneck after CPU cores/speed.

1 Like

Check this AMD specifications page: https://www.amd.com/en/products/specifications/processors/2316,14566

From what I saw there, the 8 core has sad memory bandwidth at 85 GBps. The 16 core 7302P has much better at 204 GBps.

Of course remember you also need to get at least 8 sticks of RAM.

2 Likes

TY @zlynx. Assuming I can trust that chart, then both the 7302P & 7262 might provide the type of memory bandwidth I want to cover my bases, and it seems like they also share larger L3 cache in common so maybe that was some indicator I missed.

That 7262 is available at NewEgg I see: https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-7262-socket-sp3/p/N82E16819113596

They want $650 for it. A little pricey for an 8-core but less than I thought it might be.

And the 7302P for $913: https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-7302p-socket-sp3/p/N82E16819113599

@zlynx, I’m back on the build a system after reading some about HP’s drive lockdown and some uncertainty whether gray market smart trays will even be available for HP GEN10 or if I would be forced into buying HP drives at 5x retail.

I am unsure how to make sure I am getting a compatible motherboard for EPYC 7262, because EPYCD8-2T doesn’t specifically list the 7262 as compatible, and in fact somewhere I saw a reference that I need a certain BIOS size to be compatible with any 7002 processors. ASROCK support hasn’t responded to the question of compatibility for 10 days, so not hopeful I will hear anything from them. It’s weird to me coming from prosumer where you have literal dozens of options for any given processor with very little compatibility concern.

I guess how can I go about making sure I have a compatible motherboard, processor and memory in the server space? I’m concerned because many of the server items say they cannot be returned (even on Newegg) which is really uncommon for consumer stuff.

I saw SuperMicro had some combo 7351 on a motherboard, which I presume addresses the compatibility question, but is original Zen I believe. Just trying to avoid completely pissing away money on incompatible hardware.

I don’t know about finding motherboards for EPYC. Maybe tag Wendell. Didn’t he have a video about building an EPYC server system?

@wendell sorry to bother, but can you drop any guidance on motherboard compatibility for EPYC 7302P & 7262 ? I was looking at: AsRock Rack EPYCD8-2T ATX Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7002/7001 (Naples/Rome) Series SP3 LGA4094 Dual 10 GLAN (and EPYCD8 with 1G LAN also) but (at least the 7262) isn’t listed as supported.

This is for a low-budget, high-memory bandwidth application to replace an i7-2600k with something newer & more efficient, but not high core count requirement nor PCIE4.0.

Well, bad news, you really want a motherboard designed for Rome. However you can get a slight bump in performance with pcie4 disabled

@wendell considering I want to run something quiet and efficient in a closet in the basement, and I’m coming from a 2600k and just want better memory bandwidth than a 3950x what’s the most cost effective approach? I wanted good power efficiency, and newer platform and am trying to avoid a known limitation which was discovered in the 3950x for this application while keeping it below 2k to get up and running.

I guess I picked a Naples board in the EPYCD8 series, because it says it supports EPYC 7002, and was cheaper at Newegg.

So I should go with something from the AMD EPYC Rome motherboard thread? (amd-epyc-rome-motherboard-recommendations/151525). And where can I safely buy this stuff (Newegg, B&H and Amazon all seem like a no-go for the server stuff).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.