Looking to upgrade my CPU

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, but my question is more on the CPU side since it will affect the rest of the parts. I currently have the AMD Phenom II X6 1040T overclocked to 3.2 GHz, 2.7 stock. There are 3 CPUs I'm currently at are the AMD 8350, and the Intel 7700k. I am thinking about using the 7700k, but I might end up using the part for an extended period of time (2-4 years). I do not plan to overclock the part at first. Is there a better part too look at instead, and is there anything else I should think about when future proofing?

the rest of my current build:
motherboard: ASUSTek M5A97 EVO (will be replaced in the upgrade, especially when going Intel)
Ram: 8GB (planning on going to 16 with the upgrade)
Graphics Card: AMD ASUSTek 7870 (will be holding on to this for a bit, but already looking into upgrading it later)

Current games I am playing regularly:
Minecraft, Warframe, GTA5, Skyrim

Wait for ZEN.

8 Likes

Yep, wait for Zen. At the very least, it may either provide another line of CPU alternatives or may inspire Intel to reduce their prices.

And completely rule out the older AM3 chips. There's really very little reason to use them at this point.

Need I say more?
1060 is OK for now. There isn't really much reason to go FX. For cheap you may get the 83** series CPUs, but that is just postponing the issue.
Wait for Zen and then choose according to the budget you have.

Going from that 1060T to an FX chip seems like a step in the wrong direction to me

1060 is 6 core with 3,2 overstock, while 8350 is an 8 core with 3,5 stock speed and I believe better instruction set...
There may be no ipc gains, but it's definitely not a step back by any means.

Wait for Zen.

Sure yeah but it isn't terribly significant. Not enough to warrant spending 100+ dollars on at least. I can't really get behind it considering the am3 platform will be obsolete soon either.

Look at this and compare it to some high end i7

Definitely not worth the money to get an 8350 compared to what you already have. Are you actually running into problems currently with the cpu you have?

Which ones? Those, that cost 3 times more?
Look, I know it's not much, but it's not a step back.
However, I definitely agree, it's not worth spending money on that platform.

A definite improvement, but I would wait for Zen all the same. Even if the 8350 would give you enough performance, Zen dropping would likely shift prices down, and there might be a chip that is in your price range and has the performance that you want (though the lower end skus will be released later, if the rumors are accurate).

1 Like

He said he was considering a 7700k in the OP. It's pretty much a step to the side.

He also said he was considering an 8350, why are we still having this discussion, when the clear answer is wait for zen and the aftermath of price changes after that?
Seriously, that is the best choice...

correct, yes

1 Like

Look at us. Agreeing and shit.

1 Like

No.

Big downside for Zen is that they force you to use windows 10. I've seen some Gen 7 intel processors get around this though.

I posted this right before I went to work. I forgot about zen. depending on what is going on with zen when I get the money, I might wait.
Looking into what is currently known via the wiki page:

the parts listed should be on par with a equally clocked Intel Broadwell-E (i7-6800k, i7-6850k, i7-6900k, i7-6950k) but hopefully it is closer to the performance of the 7700k

wait for a zen. same ipc as intel and a 6-8 core with hyper threading will be similarly priced a 7700k with at most maybe .4ghz difference. amd "leaked" the 5ghz on air thing which may be bullshit and buildzoid claims 4.8ghz. either way probably cheaper motherboard and more cores with maybe a little less clock speed but better overall at multi core performance. for the long haul it's the better buy if the price is right and their is no horrible bug in zen.

I think it's a pretty good idea go for the best CPU you can afford in order to keep those parts for as long as possible. So the smartest thing to do, if my opinion, is wait for Zen hoping it can bring down a bit the Intel prices aswell and decide between the i7 7700K and the direct competitor from AMD (if it's going to be launched in the first wave of Zen CPUs).