Looking to learn

Hello there

To start, I am a networking student with quite a grip on networking. I have a CCNA and I am working on my security+

I have always had an interest in hacking, however I have no idea where to learn.

I have a grasp on networking concepts, can someone direct me to where I can learn

Download and install Kali Linux then YouTube Kali videos. Kali is a Debian based Linux distributions with pre loaded penn testing and network monitoring software. It has what you need to get started.

Your profile picture... Looks familiar somehow...

2 Likes

Not sure how useful this is going to be but I am going through something kind of similar right now so I may as well share(Also this may turn into a rant or be very crappy because I've had about 4 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours) I was in college for a generic computer tech course to see what I like, but I found it so monotonous and dull that I couldn't take it anymore. I started to become obsessed with Eric S Raymond's website, as I have interest in pursuing these things, but it seems no matter what school based route I try I get bored. My problem is that when I get bored I literally cannot bring myself to do the work, however on the flip side is I am really interested in something I will obsess over it and not stop doing it until I am satisfied with what I've done.

So after reading everything his site had to offer, I've decided I'm going to self educate, and pursue tech and fast or as slow as I want to. Starting with the direction given by Mr. Raymond, I'm going to get as intimate with Linux as I can, and then branch off with hardware hacking interests. Is this how you are looking to approach things? Or are you just looking for more school based things? I would highly recommend (as also recommended above) to dive into Linux, as even though I am a noob I can at least recognize that it is paramount to understand the ins and outs of Linux systems

You could take some security classes in college. I'm currently attending college for cyber security. Really, you'll spend most of the time learning on your own because academia is quite far behind current technology. They taught me what to look for, but that I could have figured out on my own. Basically, I'm paying for a piece of paper that will get me an interview when combined with experience and certs...

Another way to start is by looking into things that interest you. I got my start many years ago when my parents would lock me out of my account on the old Windows Xp desktop because I wouldn't do my homework for school and I just wanted to do my own learning. That happened once, then after that, their attempts to lock me out were useless as I figured out the Administrator account didn't have a password and you could access it from safe mode. They then tried to limit the time of day I could be on with software, but I just changed the clock to an allowed time to stay on. Over time, it got to be more and more complicated and futile to the point where they gave up and I became the network admin of the house. With time, the skills and interest built up, and I just kept learning on my own.

1 Like

Also,

trying the hak5 youtube channel for some cool projects.

Once you get some bluejacking stuff down you should go to a barnes and nobles or a starbucks and turn on the espresso machine. If you're lucky you'll have a free espresso machine! o:

And yes some of their dumbass coffee machines have bluetooth. I DON'T KNOW WHY

edit: Wait this was at the top of the forum feed for me. I think I know how all these necros are happening now gunna message @Logan.

1 Like

It all depends on what you want to learn such as :
Network Security
Software Exploits
Hardware Hacking
Social Engineering etc

Most of the time you can look on Google or figure it out but there are some only courses for pen testing and cyber security

I recently started a CEH series for beginners as well as teach interns for my small start up company, I'd recommend watching those videos to get a gist of what the worlds like in this field. or just message me and I'll send you on the right path. I also have a patreon where one of the rewards is the access to my complete collection of learning videos and books, the same information I give to my interns before pushing them through their testing phase and then off into the real world. Not looking for money or anything just simple saying. But yea message me and I'll be able to help you out.

For free/cheap resources check out places like
Cybrary It
Stackskills/skillwise

Great places to start.

1 Like