Looking to get new laptop

My Surface Pro 3 has died and I am looking to replace it. I quite like the 2-in-1 style but I feel they are more prone to going wrong and thus have rubbish warranties. If not a 2-in-1, I’d like to get a laptop between 15 and 17 inches, IPS panel, and a sturdy build; my old Medion Erazer’s power supply unit got broken and replaced 3 times - I don’t want that experience again!

I’m not interested in doing anything more than light gaming, browsing, etc. Although a nice feature would be touchscreen and pen for my wife’s artwork. (This is not essential as we have other options for this).

Finally, I am based in the UK and my budget is £1000 at the most. If you need to know more ask away!

I kinda like the a-12 APU’s, but I am also an AMD guy

2 Likes

The XPS 13 is way too expensive, however I do like the look of the Inspiron.

Reviews suggest it’s let down by a non IPS screen, though they seem to come with IPS now. I am leaning heavily towards this at the moment, thanks for your input!

2 Likes

You might be able to find a 2013 MacBook Pro 15" for that money.

1 Like

I’ve ordered the Inspiron. £759.

I feel like shooting up and waiting for Raven Ridge and/or Coffee Lake to hit the shelves would probably be a good idea.

1 Like

Do you know when that will likely happen?

Mid 2018 most likely is when you will be seeing quite a few, look out for the Kaby Lake Refresh coming out soon if you can’t wait that long.

I hate when stuff bricks just before a new release.
If I could predict AMD release dates I would be locked up in Area 51 and studied.

I’m holding off, want to either build an AMD ryzen 1600x pc or wait and get AMD laptop.

I feel that intel have let everyone down by not pushing the technology and charging to much s they were the only real cpu manufacture.

Next hardware will be AMD and software will be Linux.

1 Like