Looking to build a Ryzen 2700X gaming system

Hi. I’m looking to build a new gaming PC based around Ryzen 2700X. I’m currently considering AMD Vega 56 GPU as well. I will be doing gaming in linux directly as well as IOMMU passthru. I’m looking for motherboard and RAM recommendations as well as update on Linux support.

Is SenseMI supported in Linux? How are the graphics drivers? If you look at what is available to download on AMD’s website, it requires Ubuntu 16.04, CentOS, RHEL, or SLES, which is odd, to say the least. Is Ubuntu 18.04 supported yet? I would like to use the open source drivers if they are close to the proprietary ones, but I’m ok with using AMDGPU PRO.

Also, I’m considering

I can’t speak to Linux specifically, but SenseMI is an on-chip feature. You don’t even need an X470 chipset.

Thats good news. I wasn’t sure after I watched @wendell 's video what was required to use it.

You don’t need the pro drivers. Any up to date distros comes with and driver support build in via amdgpu. You do need to have a distro that has a new kernel 4.15+ I’d recommend. Probably more like 4.16+.

I’ve not done any testing yet but my system works fine ootb on feodra 28 and have had no issues so far. I’ve not done any game testing yet though.

I have a 2700x and Vega 64 GPU on a Asus hero vii x470 motherboard. (Wendel also mentioned some stuff about iommu on this board. @wendell?)

What’s your budget?

I’m thinking $2500, but I’m not 100% sure.

Here is what I’m thinking. I’m mostly looking for guidance on the motherboards, since I don’t know much about IOMMU on these, and I am looking to do that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/evoblade/saved/#view=j3Y3FT

Wendell mentioned the Asus Crosshair Hero VII having proper IOMMU support, that’s a quite high end board, I’d try figure out before purchase, what other Asus boards that aren’t that expensive feature similar features regarding the IOMMU implementation.

Cool. Thanks.

@wendell , have you tested any of the other ASUS boards?