Looking to build a personal server

for low power you want to go for an intel system or some select amd apu systems.

It depends on power usage though, maybe the best thing is to put a 5700g in your old computer if you don’t have that high power cost (this is a comparison between power cost and cost of hardware). the x570 is still a power hungry system though.

For example, my server can use about 5W where a x570 with 5600X is probably closer to 30-50W. Where i live 50W continious costs 200 Euro per year.

Looking at your post you want to have a relatively powerful system to run proxmox with multiple VM’s and hard drives. I would just build a new system with an intel cpu with multiple hard drives and 64gb of ram. the harddrives are the most expensive part if you want a lot of storage.

In comparison my nas is a intel i5 12400 with 2 ssd’s and 3 16tb hard drives. it uses about 30W idle and this is without parking the hard drives. (the limitation is somewhat in my motherboard). My small virtualisation server uses 20W but i think i can get it down to 5-7W if i stop using the nvme drive.

Transcoding is going to be tricky in a vm! I just caved and use my nas for plex which is just bare metal debian.
( you can check my forum thread here Nutral's HomeLab blog )