Looking to build a new gaming PC (2000-2500€)

You were done before you even began.

If you are going to bitchslap each other, wipe your posts from here and go to a PM. I'm tired of watching fangirls scream here.

Fuck off and take your shit OUT of a help thread.

3 Likes

Fair enough on smoothness. To be fair though, his request was 144hz, and regardless of if they could tell a difference, it's fair to say in most situations the 7700K is offering higher frame rates meeting the OP's request, while being cheaper on his budget. Purely Amazon.de, the 1700X is $40€ more, and 1800X 160€ more.

I'm not knocking the Ryzen chips. I'm currently wanting to build a Ryzen system, just unable to due to lack of ITX boards. It just seems like the 7700K might be the better choice given his request.

I'm claiming my post as semi useful and not fan girling as I am keeping OP's budget and FPS in consideration in comparing the chips. :slight_smile:

Edited to remove irrelevant US pricing.

1 Like

Do not direct this towards me, I'm just stating my views here.
There is some ongoing animosity that I have no control over, and I don't appreciate your adding to it.

1 Like

I'm just trying to get it out of here.

I would say to get the R7 1700 and the simple overclock.
The pricing is exceptional.
Again, FPS is not the only measure of performance that matters.
If OP wants 1440P I would suggest the 1700 with a FreeSync Monitor.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Air cooling is starting to sound like the way to go and a good place to reduce the cost too. I'm not too keen on downgrading the GPU though, I'd find it better to cut the costs elsewhere. The AMD vs. Intel CPU discussion is quite a lot to handle, but I'll take the feedback into account.

Anyone have other ideas for solid 144hz monitors? Two of the part lists had a 60hz and a 75hz one.

1 Like

If you do go with the R7 1700 then definately geta FreeSync Monitor which will only add to the smoothness of frames.
For an Air Cooler more than capable of cooling an overclocked chip check to see what this one sells for in Germany:

It looks like Benq has some 1440p 144Hz monitors on Amazon.de that are significantly cheaper than the ASUS counterparts. I'll admit I prefer the design of most of the ASUS monitors over Benq, but from a purely functional perspective I can't say one is better than the other. [I've not done side by side comparisons.]

I'm running a 144hz Acer monitor (though only 1080p) that I got a few years ago specifically because I couldn't justify the cost of the ASUS counterpart when I was already spending too much just for G-Sync.

If you want to cut on costs (who doesnt?), then there's fat that can be trimmed from many of your parts.

My thoughts:

CPU: I don't want to get involved in the Intel vs. Ryzen bickering. If you want Intel and you have no intention of overclocking then the K chip doesn't make sense. If you want Ryzen then go wild. It's my interpretation that when considering functional FPS per amount of money spent that Ryzen is a great bargain. The fact of the matter is that it really doesn't matter. It's nitpicky. At this price range, whatever you buy is going to perform super well, be that Ryzen or Intel. Why not snag a Ryzen chip or a normal 7700 to save a few bucks?

CPU Cooler: As stated above, if you're not overclocking then you're going to have no problems keeping your chip cool with an air cooler. However, I understand the intrigue of water cooling. Perhaps to cut on volume too, since you said your current rig is a jet engine. This is a spot to save money though.

Motherboard: As stated, why buy an overclocking board if you don't want to overclock? You can likely find a board that has all the ports you want and a layout you approve of that is a fair bit cheaper.

Memory: shrug From what I understand, if you want to use Ryzen, then memory speed is sufficiently important for overall processing speed. For Intel it seems like it's a wash and is unlikely to be a system bottleneck. My only thought would be considering 1x16GB instead of 2X8 if you want an easy upgrade down the line.

Storage: I like the setup of an SSD and a data HDD. Consider a 7200rpm data HDD for faster access. Also consider perhaps a separate SSD for games and programs you want to run quickly. It's nice to be able to load Skyrim or SolidWorks in just a few seconds.

Video Card: You cheeky bastard. That's a fun card. I cant criticize. Enjoy. If you want to consider an alternate though, think about getting 2x 1080s vs. the 1080ti.

Case: Aesthetic. As long as all the parts fit inside, get it.

PSU: People have been debating 550W vs 650W. Go ahead and get 650W. The price difference is minimal and it assures you'll be fine.

Operating System: There are still ways one can acquire a completely legitimate free version of Windows 10. I won't discuss them here. Do some Googling.

Monitor: Give a look to some of the Korean monitors that L1T and the deceased TekSyndicate reviewed. There are some great options there that will be waaaaaaay cheaper.

2 Likes

Whatever you do, wait for AMD to launch Vega.
There is a new technology on the GPU that unifies all the memory in your system including NVME, M.2 SATA, SSD, DRAM and utilizes it as called for. You don't want to miss out on that!
You have an opportunity to go from a mediocre old refreshed technology build to a cutting edge monster build.
Go Ryzen and Vega.
You'll be glad you did!

Someone was jelly and didn't want to preserve their post. Sorry, I couldn't tell if your icon was strawberry jelly or preserves, so I jammed both into my post. This post was all in pun mind you...

2 Likes

I wanted to preserve my sanity, so I decided not to bother arguing with that guy.

For a few weeks I changed my gaming name but changed back to Positron last night.
"With a gamertag like Smucker's™, He's got to be good." = lies
1 Like