I am eventually planning on building 2 machines for myself. One of which is a normal mining rig (no advice needed here) and the second one is a server. If i can combine the 2 machines into one that would be awesome but if it cant/shouldnt happen then building a separate mining rig is also fine.
- hosting many VM’s, most of which will probably end up being public-facing games
- File server, potentially public facing
- Personal VPN (though i might host this on my pfsense box)
- various other VM’s mostly for experimentation
- potentially home automation/home surveillance
- Since i dont pay for power, i was planning on using the CPU’s to mine monero during no-traffic parts of the day. It will also help heat the place a bit in the winters.
- Not sure of i should stuff GPU’s into this machine to use as the all-in-one server/mining rig.
What i’m looking into is either
- 2x Opteron 6172(12C) + Dual Socket board (Either Supermicro H8DGI-F or Asus KGPE-D16) + 64-128GB of ECC Ram.
this option is tempting particularly because the 6174 12 core chips cost only $5 each + a bit of shipping, and the 16 core 6272 is about $40 per chip). also these chips seem to have a good hashrate overall
- 2x 2650L or something similar + some dual socket LGA2011 board. Not sure exactly which yet.
this one is choice #2 in case for some reason opteron doesnt work out, doesnt support certain features or isnt worth it
Im mostly looking for advice, suggestions, and criticism. I have very little experience with enterprise gear and i definitely want to make that jump.