Looking Glass - Triage

Thanks for the Quick help now it works :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to compile with cmake, but get this error message:
LookingGlass-show/client" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.

Searching through the archive LookingGlass-show.tar.gz that I downloaded I cannot find it anywhere.
How can I set tags? This should go under lookingglass.

1 Like

Hi there I found the youtube article from wendell very interesting about sr-iov. And because of this article I wondered if you could use it to passthrough a sr-iov gpu with a ā€œmainstreamā€ gpu GTX1080 for example. A bit like a laptop with A IGPU from intel and a AMD of nVidia one.

Can you please show your complete terminal log? It seems strange that this file would be missing as itā€™s clearly part of the git repository.

In theory yes, but SR-IOV hardware is hard to come by and I do not have any such hardware to test with.

I tried turning on the VM without a video cable plugged into any output of the secondary GPU. The VM somehow booted and I am able to connect to it, however I cannot change the resolution beyond 1600x 1200. The secondary GPU is an AMD HD 7750. The AMD control panel reports there are no monitors available, custom resolution utility failed on me and if I go into advanced settings an list all modes I canā€™t go beyond 1600 x 1200 either. The monitor is reported as a ā€œDefault Monitorā€ instead of ā€œGeneric PnP Monitorā€. Is there any other way of forcing a custom resolution?

So, just to understand this correctly: everything looking glass related gets mashed into this just one thread that now has over 1600 posts? How is that even remotely useful? Who is going to go through all the posts to find for example my post?

What about subcategories?

I think time is the issue here. Perhaps a wiki where users could add to it would be helpful.

LG is evolving daily, itā€™s a moving target and as such the questions and issues are moving also. This isnā€™t a ā€œWikiā€ or ā€œInformationalā€ thread, but a thread to ask for help in, there are quite a few people on these forums with an excellent grasp on the nuances of LG that are ready to pounce on the problems.

Once we hit Beta I plan to get some substantial documentation together for the official website, until then though the code base is in too much flux.

You need a dummy plug that presents EDID information for higher resolutions to the system, there is no other known solution to this.

Thanks, thought so, I was just wondering if there is a software solution.

Also: I donā€™t know if itā€™s normal, but I am percieving some pretty significant delay. It kinda looks like itā€™s 30fps or something. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? (I have the secondary GPU (HD 7750) plugged into an HDMI monitor and the resolution set to 2560*1440@60hz)

EDIT: Aaaaand itā€™s fixed with 972ff93, nice!

From commit 32bd6d9 make fails to build the client, reverting to 6112162 it still builds.

[looking-glass]$ git checkout 32bd6d96e322271b5b58a4ee1cee05b45e83d1c7
Previous HEAD position was 6112162 [c-host] added initial crash handler stub
HEAD is now at 32bd6d9 [common] implemented crash handler for linux (including backtrace)

[client]$ make
Scanning dependencies of target lg_common
[  1%] Building C object common/CMakeFiles/lg_common.dir/src/crash.linux.c.o
In file included from looking-glass/common/src/crash.linux.c:35:
/usr/include/bfd.h:35:2: error: #error config.h must be included before this header
 #error config.h must be included before this header
  ^~~~~
compilation terminated due to -Wfatal-errors.
make[2]: *** [common/CMakeFiles/lg_common.dir/build.make:63: common/CMakeFiles/lg_common.dir/src/crash.linux.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:137: common/CMakeFiles/lg_common.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

Yeah, @tekfreak on discord pointed it out to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

im running fedora 29 headless now and trying to get vm->vm with looking glass

looking glass works thats not the problem, i cant get looking glass to connect to the spice server and i know that is is up on the windows vm
i can connect to it through virt-viewer, but that adress i cant use

any answers?

[root@localhost ~]# virsh domdisplay games
spice://127.0.0.1:5900

channel error: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

because your using VM -> VM the spice server isnā€™t at 127.0.0.1 (localhost), you need to allow your VM to connect to your hosts IP address and tell LG to connect to spice there instead.

allow my vm to connect to my host how?
through ssh
is it a configuration file to edit?

No, not though ssh.

Think about the topology of your configuration as if they are physical PCs.

1. PC1 has QEMU on it, runing the Spice server which is a TCP server.
  2. PC2 is running Windows, with keyboard and mouse coming from PC1 via Spice
  3. PC3 is running Linux, and needs to feed keyboard and mouse input to Spice for PC2 via PC1.

So PC3 needs to connect to PC1 on port 5900 instead of the localhost. You may have to configure PC1 to accept connections from PC3 depending on your network/firewall configuration. Spice may also only be configured to listen (bind) on 127.0.0.1 on PC1, which you would also have to change (usually to 0.0.0.0) to bind to the actual interface.

oh ok
this makes more sense
edit- but not fully

do you by any chance have a place where this is explained or shown how to edit, ive got no clue what my network/firewall configuration is and how to edit it to accept connections, i get what your saying just not the means to do it

I am sorry but this is very OS and configuration dependent, I suggest you create a new thread asking how to accomplish this as it is now outside the realms of LG Triage.

1 Like