Looking Glass - Triage

watch nvidia-smi to see how things are looking when you’re playing a game?

I’m suspecting that LG is having an issue somewhere.

Do you have 16 or 32GB of ram in the system?

32 GB

System

Nvidia

Hmm, definitely doesn’t look like you’re running into hardware limits here.

Are you on the latest “stable”?

Looking glass va12

Hmm, okay. I’m at the end of my knowledge then. Seems like all the low-hanging fruit has been handled. @gnif might be able to help when he comes on.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this might help but here is the performance guide for my game:

Are you running Qemu 3.1 or later? This is a known bug that I corrected.

See: https://www.patreon.com/posts/qemu-ps-2-18658431

Adding a VFIO keyboard can help also.

1 Like

Yikes version 2.1, how do I update it?

What distro are you running?

Elementary OS ~ essentially Ubuntu 18

I am not familiar with available packages for Ubuntu I am sorry, this again is going to need the help of someone else here. Have you tried searching for “Ubuntu qemu ppa”, someone might be providing newer release builds for your system.

1 Like

https://launchpad.net/~jacob/+archive/ubuntu/virtualisation

This PPA served my friend well on Mint. Not sure if it’ll work with Elementary though. (can’t hurt to try)

1 Like

How can I double check my qemu version? I’ve run that and updated everything but I still have the same issue. I’ve also restarted my pc. I used wufrs guide to get the whole thing up and running. Elementary OS 5.0 / Ubuntu 18.XX - VFIO PCIe passthrough guide / tutorial

@wUFr
Did you update your qemu? If so how?

I still have no clue why my game stutters so much in LG, I have the frame counter off.

Run qemu --version

Any further information/problem reports you provide are useless until you are sure you’re running 3.1 or later.

command not found

Really? c’mon, seriously you can spend a little effort and find the exact program to execute. Did you try hitting “tab” to auto complete the program name? If you are having trouble getting this very basic information how on earth do you expect to succeed with Looking Glass?

I honestly don’t know which package is the particular qemu you are referring to. Searching on my system I get at least a few different packages that could possibly be qemu that is being used by libvirt.

I’ve already said the version of qemu-kvm I’m using but I also have qemu-system-x86 and qemu is also listed in my apt-cache search however it still does not let me get the version since I have already stated that getting qemu --version returns command not found.

I’ve also tried googling “how can I find out which version of qemu I have?” and various different versions of that same search and from what I can see there are different answers.

I’m trying my best but I’m new to linux so please be patient with me.

That’s great! I by no means wish to discourage your attempts to learn however please be aware that you have dived into the deep end here and by doing so you are expected to have certain level of experience with Linux.

Hint: On the terminal type qemu and hit tab twice, it will list all the programs starting with qemu that are available. One is very likely qemu-system-x86 as a program (not the package) which you can provide with the --version switch to get it’s version.

Quite often in Ununtu and Debian the package version is not the same as the actual binary version. When asked the version of a program it is best to obtain it from the program directly by some means.

@trexd seems like im running 2.11.1 and i believe it gets updates on its own with other system updates (unless you would want some dev/unstable version i guess)

example of what i have available on my machine:

im using synergy with dedicated monitor for VM tho, better for my use case rn, so probably wont help you much with looking glass :slight_smile:

1 Like