Looking Glass - Triage

Ok, you need qemu 3.10 or later not just for ivshmem, but to fix other issues you will run into. There have been reports of qemu 4.0-rc1 having issues booting (although I am yet to confirm this) so you may want to avoid updating to the most recent release.

Anyone here with Fedora & libvirt experience able to help out with this? @SgtAwesomesauce perhaps?

oh, so i need qemu 3.1 for ivshmem?

no, 3.0 has ivshmem but itā€™s got some major bugs. Note that 3.1 is not 3.10

oh i see, 3.10

Sorry wait, I have confused myself, it is supposed to be 3.1 minimum. I work on the git master branch so I donā€™t really track the release versioning.

thats ok, ill update

1 Like

You rang?

You have a very similar configuration to me.

Let me compare xmls real quick.

2 Likes

Okay, first of all, Iā€™m using the following:

<shmem name='looking-glass'>
      <model type='ivshmem-plain'/>
      <size unit='M'>128</size>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </shmem>

I prefer not to use qemu:commandline if I donā€™t have to.

You should use commandline or xml-tagged device definition. I recommend using the xml tags.

@The_Poot, start the vm then copy the URL that the following command gives you:

journalctl -x | fpaste

Iā€™ll have a look at your logs.

2 Likes

Itā€™s also worth mentioning: the /dev/shm/looking-glass file isnā€™t actually a file. Itā€™s a region of RAM thatā€™s allowed to be shared amongst different processes by acting like a file, thanks to the kernel. (@gnif can probably explain it better than I can)

So donā€™t think of it as a file (except when setting permissions). Think of it as a region of RAM, since thatā€™s what it is.

3 Likes

@gnif can probably explain it better than I can

Nope, thats about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Gnif,

Thanks for your reply on previous post, been a few days but was away:

The game Iā€™m running is Rust, itā€™s very ram heavy if that would matter?
If i run it in fullscreen or windowed it doesnā€™t make any difference in the framerate it seems.

This is the load when running the VM without the game running on it:

Iā€™m mostly looking for answers on how to improve the performance with new hardware, since Iā€™m buying a new setup, I want it to also be optimized for this.
Since I have no idea if itā€™s the cpu lacking in power, the iGPU compared to if I would get a 2nd GPU to run Kubuntu on, the ram,ā€¦

I would be looking at a new setup a bit like this:

• I9-9900k
  • RTX 2080 Ti
  • 32Gb Ram (3200 Mhz)

Unless of course the problem isnā€™t in the hardware?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

This is the VM task manager when the game is running:

And this is the load on Kubuntu when the game is running, cpu now goes to 36% but can go, and is mostly at 50 to 60%.

The CPU is not lacking in power, at least not for this applicaiton. the 8700 is a solid CPU.

For the record, I have good performance with Rust on my 1070 Ti, so I donā€™t think itā€™s an issue of your system.

What resolution are you running at?

Iā€™d like to have a look at your XML. We might be able to identify an issue there.

Is there a bug in spice at the moment when keys are pressed they sometimes get stuck? When I press a lot of keys at once (when Iā€™m doing a combo) one or two of them will get stuck.

Hereā€™s my setup. Also when I press a mouse button I lose about 5 frames from what it feels like.

Iā€™ve managed to replicate the issue reliably. If I lose any frames while pressing a key, the key will get stuck until I press it again.

What are your system specs?

How many cores/gb are you assigning to the VM?

I havenā€™t encountered this issue, so I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll be able to help, but Iā€™m just prodding.

12gb of ram and 8 threads (1 socket 4 cores 2 threads). gtx 2080 and the game is only at 1080p but I get a ton of stuttering. Ryzen 5 2600x

The game and MSI afterburner are reporting 59-60 at all times and when I play the game in pure passthrough it looks much smoother but I can still get my keys stuck. This does not happen with evdev with direct input passthrough but I need my mouse buttons in game so I donā€™t have that option.

Thatā€™s odd.

Seems like itā€™s on the LG side.

What GPU is Linux using?

GT 1030 DDR5 edition with a passive cooler.

Okay, are you suing nvidia or nouveau?

Nvidia, nouveau is blacklisted in grub.