Looking Glass - Triage

I don’t play Battlefield, I play games like WarThunder, Fallout 76, EVE Online, City Skylines.

Yes I can assign 3 cores and then 4 and test it, and then I will see FPS, Input lag, Looking Glass FPS.

If I get more than 60 FPS, It will be enough (Most games are GPU intensive, except games like City Skylines).

So I’m not really sure what you’re asking here.

Fallout 76 will pin 4 cores easily. Not sure about warthunder. Eve isn’t super intensive on anything, so I wouldn’t be concerned about it. Cities skylines is the real concern. Are you unable to play it on Linux?

I use dual boot (many years) and I hate it, I would like to move to Linux completely without dual boot, and I found GPU passthrough and Looking Glass (I tested GPU passthrough and it worked on my hardware).

Okay, have you encountered the performance problems with your passthrough setup, without looking glass? I’m curious if it’s a vm config problem.

I know it’s not related to LG but warthunder and cities skylines both have native Linux releases that work well from my experience and Eve runs perfectly in wine. I checked around and it looks like you can play fallout 76 in wine too with lutris and dxvk

Okay, have you encountered the performance problems with your passthrough setup, without looking glass? I’m curious if it’s a vm config problem.

No I didn’t encounter the performance problems without Looking Glass, but on other hand I only tried some games (I didn’t play it much).

For example this guy allocated all cores to VM too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk and played many games and made lot of tests and there was no performance hit, only around 2-5%.

I know it’s not related to LG but warthunder and cities skylines both have native Linux releases that work well from my experience and Eve runs perfectly in wine. I checked around and it looks like you can play fallout 76 in wine too with lutris and dxvk

Here’s the output for the segfault
https://pastebin.com/CezqGZb9
Let me know if you need anything else

Imagine if there was LG like custom PCI card :slight_smile: for example with HDMI IN port, and some chip on it which just grabs frame from HDMI IN (from graphics card) into some shareable memory with CPU (for host), like dream :slight_smile:

It’s called a “Capture Card”, they exist. Please don’t take this thread off topic, this thread is for LG Triage, not general discussion. If you wish to discuss LG outside of help and support, please create a new thread on this forum. The community here is very welcome and open to discussing idea’s and concepts.

2 Likes

Dumb tip for anyone else sitting with a black client window and no errors:

Maximise the client window!

(If this has been covered already, please delete this. I’ve embarrassed myself enough already!) :smiley:

This is a documented issue that is likely fixed by the patch in:

lol, thought it might be! But it’s working now. Hopefully other noobs will find this.

So after posting to the wrong place before see Looking Glass client outputs purple screen for reference I have now downgraded my looking-glass-client using the AUR package rather than the git version and installed my nvidia drivers for my 970 but I’m still just getting a purple output on looking-glass-client in either mode but my second monitor displays correctly.

Oh looks like my ivshmem driver didn’t install in Windows properly so that could possible be the cause.

It certainly will be, the host can’t communicate with the client without it.

OK, so I’ve installed the ivshmem driver again by right clicking on the inf and installing and the ivshmem-test shows everything as passing now looking-glass-client is connecting in both Spice and non-spice mode but the output is just a black screen but the looking-glass-host does seem to show something is happening.

Am I running the host correctly as currently I am using an Admin rights cmd and running looking-glass-host.exe.-f which seems to be the only way I can get it to run but want to make sure this is correct.

Suddenly dawned on me when I was reading through for 1000 odd posts that someone said that AUR packages aren’t supported which made me think I wonder if the cilent and host had a version mismatch and low and behold that was the issue.

Now for the fun stuff let’s see what the performance is like.

Yeah, some people have had luck with the AUR package but its definitely a YRMV.

@gnif has said numerous times that the only thing which is officially supported are the tagged releases from github. There are some few who are some kind alpha testers who help test his master builds but that is not recommended.

Downgrading to A11 works fine so the AUR just needs updating but in the mean time I’ll update the ArchWiki with the correct information so at least the next person to run into this will know what to do and saving asking the same question.

1 Like

One of the things we’re trying to change is making this documentation more obvious. As a new user, please check out my UX thread. I would like to hear your thoughts.