Looking Glass - Triage

See: https://looking-glass.hostfission.com/quickstart/linux/libvirt

followed that - and I donā€™t see in which section I should add it. Before closing domain tag or where?

Thank you Gnif, you rock man :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Hello, did you have a chance to look at what these guys do?

I know they are using KVM virtual machines. They passthrough a dedicated GTX 1080 graphics card to each individual subscriber.

Had a chance to see their product in action and was impressed (4K @60FPS on a regular FC Internet connection): no lag, very smooth.

Not sure what kind of streaming or underlying encoding technologies they are using (H.265 it seems) to get such results over the WAN!!

I understand Looking Glass works on the same hardware by designā€¦ but wouldnā€™t it be great at some stage to be able to connect remotely to a VM and get maximum GPU performance?

No, it is not a goal of Looking Glass. streaming over a WAN adds huge latencies, Looking Glass intends to provide near zero latency for local host streaming only.

So, I was mulling over the use case for this program some more, and I think Iā€™ve missed something.

If (A) virtual machine software has built-in ā€œmonitorsā€ to display the desktop, and (B) this program is designed to solely communicate between VM and host, why not just use the built-in monitor on the VM? Does the VMā€™s monitor use RDP/some other compression method that yields a poorer quality than what LG does?

IMHO: Protocols RDP/VNC/X11 are not capable transfer 500 mil pixels every second (UHD@60p).

Right, I can personally attest to RDP not wanting to use more than 3Mb/s over LAN when pushed. What Iā€™m asking is: when you connect from your host machine to the VM using the VM management software, does it connect over RDP / some compressed protocol, or does it give you the full un-compressed frames as though you were viewing the VM as non-virtual machine through a ā€œrealā€ monitor.

the built in ones (spice, qxl) arenā€™t gpu accelerated, and in some cases work like a vnc connection, where latency is very high

1 Like

That will not fly with modern anti-cheats. Valveā€™s VAC will not allow players to use that to game on multiplayer games, and PUBG recently banned all VMware products from Battleye.

The benefit of Looking Glass is native VAC titles that run on Linux wonā€™t have issues,

What is the reason for banning VMs exactly? What kind of cheating involves VMs that couldnā€™t better be solved by either more classical banning (IP / HID) or if itā€™s VM-based botting farms that are the issue, then just limit the number of clients coming from one public IP.

some cheating macro tools use spice keyboard automation or similar, also a problem in wow, where a single pc might be able to run 20 wow VMs with a gold farming bot

1 Like

Is it really that difficult to just look for the repetitive motion of a keyboard macro script? Even if there is built-in pseudo-random variance, that seems like it would be a perfect candidate for machine learning (which these large video game companies could easily afford, and for that matter, pioneer).

As for WoW gold farming, why not just go ā€œhey, there are 20 clients running from this one public IP, thatā€™s suspiciousā€?

lmao

also, a lot of games are based on successfully executing repetitive inputs with small variance in timing.

youā€™re aware that lan parties and internet cafes are a thing right

also, most gold farms just put multiple nics in their farm boxes and pass a different port to each VM to get around this rudimentary protection

Please take this discussion to a dedicated thread instead of derailing this one.

Iā€™m having issues with installing IVSHMEM driver. Iā€™ve used this one:
http://people.redhat.com/vrozenfe/ivshmem/ivshmem.zip

and Windows 10 states it cannot recognize its signature (code 52) and does not allow me to use it. Iā€™ve had similar problem on different machine at home. Is the only way to make it work to switch windows to test mode permanently?

Thereā€™s a ivshmem2 driver out there. You might want to try that one out.

http://people.redhat.com/vrozenfe/ivshmem/ivshmem2.zip

Iā€™m getting the very same error with this one :frowning: . Both machines running Windows 10 (PL).

edit: god damn it - this damn Windows is not even allowing me to :
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
to get rid of those checks.

What is Windows 10 (PL)? Is that ā€œPro Licenseā€?

Windows 10 Pro - Polish version.