Looking Glass - Triage

I get why they do it, that doesn’t mean I don’t find it distasteful. It’s also just a small element of a huge compound ethical problem that seems systemic to their organization

It’s not too much to ask that the largest platform that represents our community isn’t a black mirror of hucksterism and grift that shines back a dystopian reflection of the institutions I cherish, imo

The last 2 weeks have been so rough. Losing my escapes on Twitch being one of those terrible things to happen. I just wanted to talk to Wendell about getting USB 3.0 UVC devices for me to test or for him to test, but I guess that’s falling on deaf ears, so I have to buy my own while broke.

I get the impression that you are bitter about the whole ordeal. What do you feel is the appropriate recourse to this dilemma?

Not bitter, just disillusioned from years of industry experience.

You have to realize that, things like LTT thrive because they reflect the values of the demographic they cater to.

As a passionate part of that demographic, and as a person who wants to write in the space, it saddens me to see that my values are largely not the same as the wider community via that reflection.

I also (probably naively) dislike brand influencers abusing their platforms, as they are largely replacing independent and investigative journalism, with none of the generations of moral tempering.

I have larger, albeit not entirely mainstream platforms for other topics, and few have juggernauts like LMG in the space that serve as such a stark reminder of these two facts.

It’s personal, sure, but i’m sad at the state of things, not bitter because of their success. Linus is a salesman first and foremost, and the community would have attached to another one if not him.

I’d have to be really elitist and completely lack self awareness to call the vast majority of the tech enthusiast community bad people, and it’s just as childish to single out an individual that takes advantage of them. It’s the mechanisms that allow it to happen that I hate, and LTT is an avatar of those systems.

this heartfelt explanation brought to you by Dbrand™ – subscribe to sinksub for more journalistic essays on ethics, only $2.99 CAD

2 Likes

That was well thought out, thank you for conveying your thoughts.

1 Like

I find actually trying to communicate usually does better than telling u about BOFA

1 Like

I have tried to like LTT so many times but it’s just not possible to me. I like everyone in the team besides Linus who i just find loud, obnoxious and it most often seems like he doesn’t know what he is talking about. It’s all polish and no substance.
I wish Linus would step back and let the other guys in front of the camera instead. Luke is a better lead person in my view.

Hello,

I found out about this from your SR-IOV video, and after looking in to it a bit, I find myself a bit confused. Does the server-side have to be a VM? I can understand OS limitation, but why a VM?

Also, maybe you had mentioned in the video, but given what this software is capable of, what exactly is preventing this from being used as a way to (for all intents and purposes) play any game on Linux without issue? Is it because of all the overhead that comes with a VM or what?

Hey guy! I’m trying to build the latest version (A11), but I’m a pretty big noob when it comes to cmake. I keep running into the error: “CMake Error: The source directory does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.” Any help solving this would be awesome. Thanks!

git checkout a11 ?

I believe so

just running make complains about cmake?

running “cmake …/” in the build directory gives me the error

try just make?

Negitive. I’m fairly certain this is just problem on my system because I’ve tried previous releases with the same error.

Also, I’m running Pop_OS if that makes any difference.

What do you have against the polish? They’re a smart hardworking people with a rich culture and history

Please be sure to follow the instructions here:

https://looking-glass.hostfission.com/quickstart/linux/build

If you still can’t figure it out, please paste your console session here so we can see exactly whats going on. Please also tell us what distro you are using and the version of CMake you are using.

kyle@pop-os:~/Downloads$ tar -xzf LookingGlass-a11.tar.gz 
kyle@pop-os:~/Downloads$ cd LookingGlass-a11/
kyle@pop-os:~/Downloads/LookingGlass-a11$ mkdir build
kyle@pop-os:~/Downloads/LookingGlass-a11$ cd build/
kyle@pop-os:~/Downloads/LookingGlass-a11/build$ cmake ../
CMake Error: The source directory "/home/kyle/Downloads/LookingGlass-a11"     does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

The distro I’m using is Pop_OS and the cmake version is 3.10.2-1ubuntu2

Can you please run a ls on the directory?

ls -l LookingGlass-a11/
drwxr-xr-x 2 kyle kyle  4096 Jul 22 22:53 build
drwxr-xr-x 6 kyle kyle  4096 May 28 01:36 client
drwxr-xr-x 2 kyle kyle  4096 May 28 01:36 common
drwxr-xr-x 3 kyle kyle  4096 May 28 01:36 contrib
-rw-r--r-- 1 kyle kyle  1278 May 28 01:36 CONTRIBUTORS
drwxr-xr-x 4 kyle kyle  4096 May 28 01:36 host
-rw-r--r-- 1 kyle kyle 18092 May 28 01:36 LICENSE
drwxr-xr-x 2 kyle kyle  4096 May 28 01:36 module
-rw-r--r-- 1 kyle kyle   531 May 28 01:36 README.md
drwxr-xr-x 4 kyle kyle  4096 May 28 01:36 vendor