Looking Glass - Triage

Please post the output of the host app.

This is what iā€™m getting

[I]     CaptureFactory.h:79   | CaptureFactory::DetectDevice   | Trying NvFBC
[E]            NvFBC.cpp:108  | Capture::NvFBC::Initialize     | Capture is not possible, unsupported device or driver
[I]     CaptureFactory.h:79   | CaptureFactory::DetectDevice   | Trying DXGI
[I]     CaptureFactory.h:82   | CaptureFactory::DetectDevice   | Using DXGI
[E]          ivshmem.cpp:198  | IVSHMEM::GetMemory             | DeviceIoControl Failed: 548
[E]          Service.cpp:68   | Service::Initialize            | Failed to get IVSHMEM memory

The memory mapping is failing, this can only happen if youā€™re running the application twice, or you have killed off the ivshmem-server.

548 = ERROR_DEVICE_ALREADY_ATTACHED

IVSHMEM is exclusive to a single application for security reasons. Double check your task list for looking-glass-host.exe, perhaps you configured it to start at boot?

I havenā€™t configured it to run it on start yet but I have it working again now. The issue was that the ivshmem-server wasnā€™t running.

1 Like

Okay I now got it working. Really seamless integration. The only ā€œbugā€ I experience right now is a kinda weird flickering of the Windows window. I guess it has to do with the FPS because I enabled the FPS counter and itā€™s mostly reporting 2 to 3 FPS even while moving the mouse. When I really jank the mouse accross the screen it even goes up to like 25 to 30 FPS.

Hey there,

PC specs:

• MoBo: Asus Maximus VIII Gene
  • CPU: Intel i7-6700K
  • GPU Host: Intel HD Graphics 530
    GPU Guest: Nvidia GTX 1070
  • SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe

Issue: Looking Glass performance tanks on high (CPU/GPU?) load

So, Iā€™ve been testing for a few hours and Iā€™ve come to the result that Looking Glass is performing pretty well on my system as long as CPU load doesnā€™t get too high.
The Guest OS is pinned to 3 cores (6 threads) while the host uses the remaining core (2 threads) - I triple-checked the pin allignment so trust me that itā€™s correct. In normal use cases (YouTube, light gaming) the frame rate is constantly holding 57-60 fps.
However that changes once you start games which are very demanding. For reference, the ā€œheavyā€ games I tested were Nier Automata and the Black Desert Online where host performance started to degrade and frame rates below 20 fps occured while the directly attached monitor showed solid 60 and 72 (OC) fps.

I watched the system load during my tests and noticed that problems occured when CPU load was at about 50-70% and GPU load was about 70-100%.

At first I was thinking that my ZFS pool would be the culprit so I created a new dataset with no compression and other fancy settings to store the ivshmem socket but this didnā€™t improve performance at all. I also doubt that this is causing the fps to drop as YouTube videos and another game (Warframe, crazily well optimized) are performing almost perfectly.

It could also be a problem with Intel HD Graphics, however I disabled my compositor and the ā€œTearFreeā€ option in the driver with no results.

And the last thing I can imagine is that my host just does not have enough cores to work with. The problem however isā€¦ this is already a really good (and expensive) PC I am using. That would mean in order to game with Looking Glass I would have to invest in more cores if I donā€™t want to compromise on guest performance. That would be a real deal-breaker for me as I just built this system 1 year ago.

@karmek we know that things are suboptimal with the Intel IGP at the moment, please wait for the Vulkan renderer which I am currently working on.

You might also set looking Glass to high priority ā€“ this helped me with cpu intensive games.

@gnif That is good news! I was about to think my rig already is old trash. xD

@wendell Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

This has been reported multiple times already and there is an open github issue, please everyoneā€¦ check for duplicate issues before posting.

2 Likes

I just tried winglx_gears and unigine and it looks good, canā€™t feel any delay when it is 60fps+.

120fps benchmark in window, looking-glass-host cpu is about 5%, client about 20% at 60fps.

I also tried dota2 but it crashes because of too big cursor :slight_smile:
so I dont have anything cpu intensive to test right now.

EDIT: Running in full screen, I can notice slowdowns to 30-45fps,cpu load is fine, client is hd4000.

@gnif when I try to use the -v option for the looking glass client to disable vsync it says ā€œinvalid optionā€. I took a quick look at your code and I donā€™t see that you handle the -v option. Do you intend to remove it?

The option is deprecated. Conventional vsync is always disabled to achieve low latency. We are not even double buffering.

2 Likes

@gnif: Could you take an other look into the Fedora guide?
The packages SDL_ttf-devel and libX11-devel seem to be misspelled (casing), so copy/pasting the command results in dnf not finding them.

Sorry, duplicate: somenoob already mentioned this

1 Like

I will ask again, please check for duplicate reports before wasting my time:

1 Like

This is funny: Animated cursors (e.g. activity indicator/spinning blue circle) arnā€™t properly drawn in the Looking Glass window. The circle is orange for a brief moment and then the whole cursor disappears. On the connected physical monitor, the circle is blue as expected and doesnā€™t disappear.

Otherwise its working great. Framerate is 35 constantly at 1920x1080 borderless window size, but I think this is just my 560Ti performing bad with nouveau. The experimental reclocking might help here.

1 Like

I can keep an eye on this thread so you can do other stuff if you like. Me and celmor and sgtawesomesauce ftw :smiley:

Thanks mate, things should die down as information is disseminated. Hard at work on a Vulkan renderer, 715 lines and counting, and that just gets things initalizedā€¦ such a verbose API.

3 Likes

Itā€™s working fine for me on the desktop but when playing games the clientā€™s fps go way down. Iā€™m not using a Intel GPU though, I have a RX 550 with the AMDGPU driver. Is there something I can do or should I wait for the vulkan driver too?

can you try setting the priority in windows of the looking glass exe to high and see if that makes a difference for you?