Looking Glass - Triage

Just woke up, I will check this when I can and report back. If it doesn’t work for some reason we can figure out a remote ssh. Thanks for the hard work.

1 Like

I wont be around until late tonight AEST, have to go and visit my brother in law who just had his first child :smiley:

1 Like

Hey! Congrats to him =D

I don’t think you need to worry about the issue anymore, your fix worked (=

Performance wise I can confirm what I saw a month ago: CPU utilization with EGL (even with 144fps @ 2560x1440) is minimal. GPU utilization is also better. Amazing work!

1 Like

Yep. Working here on the latest client master as well.

1 Like

Awesome!

Thanks, super glad to hear it, after the last few days it’s nice to get some good news!

Our trip to see our new nephew was a nightmare, had a postal worker on a push bike smash our car because “we ticked him off” by looking for a park, the idiot then rode off without providing any ID. Lost the entire day waiting for the police and dealing with them, thankfully they found the guy and charged him.

Then got home and shortly after we arrived home a lightning storm hit and a strike that was very close to us took out my managed switch, vdsl modem, UPS and gateway… sigh, one of those days.

Anyway, finally back and online, managed to cobble together some junk to get things running again in the meantime.

A12 was just released

6 Likes

Hey, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the excellent work! I’ve been out of the game for a bit, but I’ve just downloaded and checked out A12 and it’s working pretty well from what I can see.

:smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been using the adobe creative suite in a VM flawlessly since ancient version and it makes me so happy to be able to do that. Now we just need seamless window capture and we’ll be all set lololololol

1 Like

That requires NVFBC, if I remember correctly.

But yeah, that’s on my list as well.

There is some example stuff in the amd media sdk for “remote desktop” which does window capture now too. So. That might be a thing… :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, that’s good.

Hello ! I have a small problem with the Alpha 12 of the looking glass client. The Alpha 11 from the Arch repository works perfectly, but the A12 I built myself from source tells me this when I try to start it :

[I]               main.c:757  | run                            | Looking Glass ()
[I]               main.c:758  | run                            | Locking Method: Atomic
[I]               main.c:751  | try_renderer                   | Using Renderer: EGL
[I]               main.c:824  | run                            | Using: EGL
[E]               main.c:852  | run                            | Could not create an SDL window: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
  • I also tried to build the A11 from source just in case, it is working.
  • I tried the OpenGL renderer, the problem was the same.

Do you think you could help me ?

My config :
I7 9700K
Host GPU : HD 630
Passthrough GPU : 2080 TI
Motherboard : Z390 phantom gaming ITX/AC

Please show the output of the client when you try the opengl renderer.
Also, please provide the output of: glxinfo

Ah, sorry. Here it is :

[I]               main.c:757  | run                            | Looking Glass ()
[I]               main.c:758  | run                            | Locking Method: Atomic
[I]               main.c:806  | run                            | Trying forced renderer
[I]               main.c:751  | try_renderer                   | Using Renderer: OpenGL
[E]               main.c:852  | run                            | Could not create an SDL window: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

And GLXinfo : https://pastebin.com/PbyrGfyg

This is not an OpenGL or EGL renderer issue, there is something wrong with your system. It’s failing on SDL_CreateWindow, this is likely caused by a compositor or some other issue.

Please try launching the client with export SDL_VIDEO_X11_VISUALID=, this will cause SDL to use a different visual id detection method. If this doesn’t work you may need to research why SDL can’t create a OpenGL window on your configuration.

1 Like

Great ! It worked ! Is there something I can do to troubleshoot the problem, or can i use this command on my system startup and simply use looking-glass that way ?

I am not sure I am sorry, you will need to consult the SDL forums as to what might be wrong with your configuration. It should be fine to just launch LG using this method however.

Thank you a lot for your time and for working on Looking Glass, it is a great software :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just my experience with using LG currently and remaining gripes.
I guess the GPU disconnecting the monitor/stopping video output after a while can’t be helped (usually a few hours). Getting either a black screen or a corrupted image of previous video output till I switch monitor input back to passed through GPU and waiting a few seconds.
When I’m unable to switch monitor input, e.g. because I’m accessing the machine remotely I can’t use LG anymore and have to fall back to something like Windows’ remote desktop.
After using Remote desktop and switching back to LG, after I was able to change monitor input or turn monitor back on, I notice that the in-game resolution is locked at something low which I can’t increase anymore.
Either way, a12 seems quite a bit better, and neither host application or client needs to be restarted anymore after switching games or changing resolutions. So nice progress so far @gnif and thanks for your continued hard work on the software!

1 Like

Hey I’m trying to get looking glass to work on Fedora 29. I went through the quickstart using a12 but my client is always having a black screen. Below is the output.

[I]               main.c:773  | run                            | Wayland detected
[I]               main.c:779  | run                            | SDL_VIDEODRIVER has been set to wayland
[I]               main.c:806  | run                            | Trying forced renderer
[I]               main.c:751  | try_renderer                   | Using Renderer: OpenGL
[I]               main.c:961  | run                            | Waiting for host to signal it's ready...
[I]             opengl.c:469  | opengl_render_startup          | Vendor  : X.Org
[I]             opengl.c:470  | opengl_render_startup          | Renderer: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460 Graphics (POLARIS11, DRM 3.27.0, 4.19.10-300.fc29.x86_64, LLVM 7.0.0)
[I]             opengl.c:471  | opengl_render_startup          | Version : 4.4 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.2.6
[I]             opengl.c:483  | opengl_render_startup          | Using GL_AMD_pinned_memory
[I]               main.c:970  | run                            | Host ready, starting session
[I]             opengl.c:896  | configure                      | Using decoder: NULL
[E]             opengl.c:863  | _check_gl_error                | 955: glGenBuffers = 1281 (invalid value)
[I]             opengl.c:896  | configure                      | Using decoder: NULL

Couple of things worry me. First the client does’t show the version. Second i need to specify opengl or else it uses EGL and gives me a segfault.