Return to Level1Techs.com

Looking Glass - Guides, Help and Support

iommu
lookingglass

has anyone had issues with ubuntu after updating from 16.04 to 18.04. It appears to no longer take the arguments. If I add the qemu argument the start process hangs and I have to reboot my pc to try again.

LookingGlass doesn’t take a ‘qemu’ argument, what are you referring to?

Those willing to run the unstable master version and are using AMD hardware on the client may get a substantial performance improvement as I just added GL_AMD_pinned_memory support. On my test system I am seeing a substantial improvement in frame rate.

Edit: A kernel module has also been added to allow VM->VM communication.

On my Optimus laptop I find that I can get looking glass displaying a desktop using my dGPU by running the server from within an accelerated RDP session. However, I then have no way of controlling the session. Is there a way around this, or a better way to achieve the same thing?

I am not quite sure I follow. LookingGlass implements a spice client which gives you control.

Unfortunately the spice client only gives control of the console session, which I can’t get to use my dGPU. It’s only in an RDP session that I can get the dedicated card to be used, but then I have no way of controlling it while I’m looking at the looking glass window. I was wondering if anyone has a working setup for an Optimus laptop.

I assume this is because the dGPU is disabled if there is no display connected, or it’s not being used in general. An HDMI dongle might help you already so that the dGPU under windows thinks that a display is connected.

Is there a simple way to reset the “look-glass-host.exe” application from the host? Perhaps via QMP.

Reset how? If you can run Powershell/CMD commands just kill the host and start it again…

E.g. when the “looking-glass-client” application can not run. Can QMP work with Powershell/CMD?

Probably not using QMP, maybe using guest tools, I would use powershell/ssh to remotely connect to guest from host and try it that way (not sure if you can start applications like that which need access to the desktop).
What exactly do you mean by

E.g. when the “look-glass-client” contains an error. For example: https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass/issues/66

The client doesn’t really know if the host aplpication is running from my understanding, it simply renders the image in the shared memory file, not sure if there’s more signaling going on at all but that’s what I’m getting from current behavior.
You should let the guest manage host application so it stays up properly.

The client and host synchronize with each other, one wont start without a signal from the other.

I’m interested in how this Looking Glass could work for me, could some one confirm if this situation would work??
I’m Considering buying a AMD FirePro for the general desktop usage.

HW:
AMD FirePro™ W4100 VGA (<50Watts x4 dp 4k)
Nvidia970/4G (~170Watts)
x3 1080p dp monitors

Use-case #1:
Hybrid; W4100 + NV970 for gaming @ Linux host
Or is there no way switching between NV and AMD and is NV/Intel or NV/NV hybrid is the only option?

Use-case #2:
W4100 for Host desktops / unbinding the NV970 from the pci bus to be claimed by the Looking Glass VM.

Would it be enough to “sudo prime-select amd/nvidia” on the host before running the Looking Glass configured VM?
Or is DRI_PRIME not sufficient after having both cards once loaded after the Host has booted?

I tried QMP: { "execute": "guest-exec", "arguments": { "path": "C:/looking-glass-host/looking-glass-host.exe" } } but it did not work.

I solved the hibernation problem as follows:

• Windows Task Scheduler
  • Trigger (On an event): Log: System > Source: Power-Troubleshooter > Event ID: 1
  • Action: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "taskkill /f /im looking-glass-host.exe >nul && timeout /t 3 /nobreak >nul && start C:\looking-glass-host\looking-glass-host.exe >nul" that resets “looking-glass-host.exe”

In addition, I created a simple universal solution:

• In Windows OS, create “restart-looking.lnk” and set it shortcut key (eg. ctrl-alt-l) and place it in “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs”.
    Target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "taskkill /f /im looking-glass-host.exe >nul && timeout /t 3 /nobreak >nul && start C:\looking-glass-host\looking-glass-host.exe >nul"
  • In linux, use the “Qemu monitor” to run the “sendkey ctrl-alt-l” command.
    It works perfectly.

SSH would also be a solution.

English is not my mother tongue; please excuse any errors on my part. :slight_smile:

I am pleased to announce that VM->VM performance is now fixed, if you want to run using this method you need to load the kernel module for the IVSHMEM device otherwise your performance will be terrible.

When I’m using looking-glass-client build from current GITHUB scrolling in HostOS app (Opera/Chromium/…) is very slow.
When I’m using older looking-glass-client build (clone February 10?) scrolling speed is OK.

HostOS: Xubuntu 17.10x64 + vanilla 4.16.6 + gnif_patch (Geforce GTX960 + Gerforce 396.18Beta?)
GuestOS: Windows 10x64 18.03 (GTX [email protected])

Current build: 100%+ load for task of looking-glass-client in top (window LG is minimized).
Older build: ~7% load for task of looking-glass-client in top (window LG is minimized).

If we’re a Patron do we get to see those juicy battlestation pics?

I do not have Patron only content, everything I do is open through and through. If you would like to donate I would be most appreciative but at this time there is no benefit in doing so.