Return to Level1Techs.com

Looking Glass - Guides, Help and Support

iommu
lookingglass

2 FurryJackman:
Problem of GPU-task priority, not CPU-task priority.

Source code of looking-glass-host contents some GPU task priority settings, in my case it doesn’t help.

Will it be possible to passthrough the KVMFR to a KVM virtualized Linux wich will also have a dedicated GPU passthroughed? Or mb it is already possible somehow?

Has been answered when asked about it originally mid Dec. and afaik there has been no progress since then:

The main monitor I use for my host is [email protected] Unfortunately, it has only a single DVI input and my other screens are all standard [email protected]; I surmise I need an EDID plug to mirror that resolution and refresh rate. Are there any recommended plugs?

Cheers. (And thanks for Looking Glass!)

i noticed that -F is more sluggish than -d. now that windows is configured, i am running into that “issue”. Is this normal?

I don’t think so.

Played around with this yesterday. I’m super impressed, it works so well.
How well does it work with adaptive sync technology? If at all.

If hosts supports free-sync it should work, adaptive sync in guest doesn’t matter. Not sure about g-sync, if it works at all on linux for opengl windows.
edit: had host and guest swapped

Hi does anyone know how to use extra mousebuttons in looking-glasses inbuild spice? If I press [MOUSE-5] for example it gets reckognized as scrollwheel-up. Is there any way to change this behavior?

I just passthrough my kb/m and use a spare for controlling linux. It is a better solution for now.

yeah I guess I will do the same and reattach it whenever I leave windows

G-sync is available on the OSX drivers for Nvidia, (if you’re talking an overarching UNIX OS architecture) but I do not think there’s an option at all on the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Higher refresh rates are possible to simply run a panel at 120 or 144hz. You don’t lose as much using a fixed refresh rate at those higher framerates as you think.

If you are using the Nvidia proprietary driver it’s possible to force the use of a specified EDID for a given display using the “CustomEDID” Option in the Xorg config. See: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3571/~/managing-a-display-edid-on-linux

The fps of the viewer wont go any higher then 60. Anyone know why?
This is the command I’m using
./bin/looking-glass-client -o opengl:vsync=0 -k -F

Solved it had to use Gnome on Xorg

Are you using a compositor? It might force vsync

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried search this thread, but the infinite scrolling system and the limited results returned in the search function make discovery very hard. There wouldn’t happen to be a hidden way to see the thread in a classic layout would there?

In the videos Wendell did going over Looking-Glass, he mentioned that he installed windows first bare metal on an SSD and thereafter used that as the VM. What are the advantages of doing that over installing it on a virtual disk?
Is doing this primarily a “this is the best way to make everything work consistently” thing or is it just a IO performance thing. I’d prefer to have windows as a virtual disk to make it easy to manage and am not very concerned with an disk IO performance hit.

Anyone have any experience trying both ways?

Edit
Came across this thread and it looks like the disk passthrough thing that wendell did isn’t the norm. Virtualizing an existing OS
I think that answers my question though I’d love to hear any comments about it. I’ll find out the hard way in a few weeks.

I installed windows to a VHDX and use native booting of this virtual disk image via the windows boot loader so I get the advantages of virtual disk images (snapshotting, base images) and a few technological advantages (Windows detects C drive is in a VHDX and moves stuff like page file which gets written often to drive containing VHDX, TRIM seems to work better, etc.), though this setup process may be more complicated to novices (manuall copying of Windows files to VHDX using CLI tools like xcopy instead of installing like normal, manuall configuration of Windows boot loader, manuall drive letter assignment via registry, having to use PE). I can use the SSD I’ve set it up on on other machines simply enough via a SATA to USB adapter and Windows sees it as “Windows To Go USB” as well as boot other/fresh instances of Windows based on the original setup in the base image.
Showing that doing a bare-metal setup first and moving this into a VM proofs that you can move mostly any existing Windows installation to a VM as well, though drivers may conflict. IO Performance depend largely on how you attach the storage containing Windows to the VM (I am using PCIe passthrough for best performance).

Edit: I also tried this with a pre-configured virtual disk from Microsoft directly made for trying out Windows or developing in a VM. After converting the disk image from VMWares format I was able to boot it and us it as a test version with no additional configuration of Windows required (boots right to desktop as IEUser).

That’s some interesting stuff I wasn’t aware was possible, I’ll have to look into that. Thanks!

Does anyone have gpu/cpu usage stats for the windows guest. At times the looking glass host application uses 20% cpu and spikes 10% gpu.

[email protected] ~/LookingGlass/client $ make
mkdir -p bin
Package libconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libconfig.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libconfig' found
Package libva was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libva.pc'
No package 'libva' found
Package libva-glx was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libva-glx.pc'
No package 'libva-glx' found
cc -c -g -O3 -std=gnu99 -march=native -Wall -Werror -I./ -I../common -DDEBUG -DATOMIC_LOCKING -ffast-math -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -Wfatal-errors  -DBUILD_VERSION='"a10-50-gfd8d4d3d38"' -o .build/main.o main.c
main.c:37:23: fatal error: libconfig.h: 沒有此一檔案或目錄
compilation terminated.
Makefile:38: recipe for target '.build/main.o' failed
make: *** [.build/main.o] Error 1

The Looking Glass Client What should I do?