Return to Level1Techs.com

Looking Glass - Guides, Help and Support

iommu
lookingglass

Yes you are right about that, my monitor happens to send out, it’s a QNIX QX320QHD.

So frustrating issue here. Fresh install of Fedora 27 and virt-manager thinks that it doesnt have permission to access the /dev/shm file but it does… I tried re-loacating it to my home directory, set the permissions appropriately, and all I get is this error. it literally worked before the last reboot and I did re-create the file in the exact same way

Error starting domain: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2018-01-04T03:44:18.660562Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)
2018-01-04T03:44:18.666180Z qemu-system-x86_64: -object memory-backend-file,id=ivshmem,share=on,mem-path=/home/timb/kvm/looking-glass,size=64M: can't open backing store /home/timb/kvm/looking-glass for guest RAM: Permission denied ```

You can rule out SELinux by running setenforce 0 from a root shell and see if it persists. Everyone, please stop trying to create device/socket nodes in your home directory. It makes it really difficult for people to make comprehensive policies.

it was selinux lmao thanks

I wonder why it worked before though… odd

Noooo @starlord don’t kill selinux totally. Use audit2allow

And see what’s failing. And let us know so we can update the guide? :smiley:

qemu’s labelling has some funky stuff going on, see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1514538. It doesn’t show in avc logs even if dontaudit is off. I can’t track it down either. At least permissive mode still keeps the auditing and the big scaries away.

I’ve encountered a minor issue - after connecting to VM via RDP I cannot connect with LG, even after closing RDP connection.
On the Winows side I see a message “user switch detected. waiting to regain control”.
Not a biggie for me as LG basically made RDP obsolete in my workflow :D.

What is the status of 10-bit color depth support in Looking Glass? I want to use Adobe creative software on a Windows guest and view my work in 10-bit colors. Page 17 of the Nvidia Capture SDK FAQ states support for it starting in version 6. I have a 10-bit supported 32" 4K monitor and am planning to get a Quadro P2000. Currently I have a Geforce GTX 770.

1. Does Looking Glass support 10-bit color depth today? If not, is development in-progress or planned?
  2. For a user to see 10-bit colors with Looking Glass, do the GPUs for both the host & the guest need to support 10-bit? The Geforce doesn’t support 10-bit so I’m curious if I need two Quadros for this use case, or if I can use the Quadro for the guest and the Geforce for the host?

Its a direct copy, so if the hardware supports it shouldn’t be a problem.

are there plans to implement a keyboard shortcut switch to go to fullscreen (unless I’m missing something)? Would be cool.

I am still unable to get looking-glass working with alpha10
I am running the process on my WINDOWS VM and when I run the looking-glass client I get the following output on ubuntu:
./LookingGlass/client/bin/looking-glass-client -p 5901
[I] main.c:661 | run | Looking Glass (a9-0-gd9397610f3)
[I] main.c:662 | run | Locking Method: Atomic
[I] main.c:655 | try_renderer | Using Renderer: OpenGL
[I] main.c:743 | run | Using: OpenGL
[E] ivshmem.c:106 | ivshmem_connect | socket connect failed
[E] main.c:826 | run | failed to connect to the ivshmem server
[W] ivshmem.c:216 | ivshmem_disconnect | socket not connected

Any Idea what I am missing?

Something didn’t update properly it seems. Client is still on a9.

I tried to install the updated client on my ubuntu pc but when I run make I get the following output, is there something I am missing?

Package libconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing libconfig.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'libconfig' found Package libva was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containinglibva.pc’
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package ‘libva’ found
Package libva-glx was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libva-glx.pc’
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package ‘libva-glx’ found
gcc -c -g -O3 -std=gnu99 -march=native -Wall -Werror -I./ -I…/common -DDEBUG -DATOMIC_LOCKING -ffast-math -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -DBUILD_VERSION=’“a10-21-ga36d312844”’ -o .build/main.o main.c
main.c:37:23: fatal error: libconfig.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:30: recipe for target ‘.build/main.o’ failed
make: *** [.build/main.o] Error 1

not to be rude but apparently you’re missing the error message…
I mean, it says pretty clear what it’s missing for compilation :wink:
Also ran a make clean before the compile?

I know I am seeing the error messages but why I am getting the fatal error: libconfig.h? where is that file supposed to be located?

found the issue
I had to download the zip file from https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass/releases a10

Hello, I’m following along the guide using Debian Buster, and I’m at the part where I’ve just added looking-glass to /dev/shm. I have the proper permissions, but virt-manager gives me the error

Error starting domain: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2018-01-05T06:02:10.781444Z qemu-system-x86_64: -object memory-backend-file,id=ivshmem,share=on,mem-path=/dev/shm/looking-glass,size=32M: can’t open backing store /dev/shm/looking-glass for guest RAM: Permission denied

I’ve tried running setenforce 0 as root, which was mentioned above, but it doesn’t change anything. Anything I can do to fix this?

As what user is running qemu?
If you’re using libvirt the default is “nobody”, you can check using this command for if that’s changed (if all printed lines start with # the default user hasn’t been changed):
$ grep user /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
What permissions are set-up for the shared memory file? You can check using:
ls -lZ /dev/shm/looking-glass
Are you using alpha10 version of LG? otherwise ivshmem is set-up differently.

I checked the qemu.conf file, but it is still set to default (nobody).
I’m using the newest release, a10, so I’m using /dev/shm/looking-glass. The permissions for that are
-rw-rw---- 1 nobody libvirt ? 0 Jan 4 23:01 /dev/shm/looking-glass
I’m assuming this must be incorrect?