Return to Level1Techs.com

Looking Glass - Guides, Help and Support

iommu
lookingglass

As much as I understand you (those shipping costs are a pain q,q), there’s unfortunately not much they can do about them since it’s all shipped from the US.

The only option would be services like borderlinx, but I don’t know if there are partner programs for shop owners.

On-topic:
Question that popped into my head recently… How does looking glass work with HDCP, or does it work at all?
I ask because for example UHD BluRays are currently a pain in the a** to get going on the PC in general and I was wondering if this were at least theoretically possible (even though I have currently no plans on actually doing this).

We are at the mercy of the capture API, both DXGI and NvFBC refuse to capture if HDCP contect is active.

Thought as much, but asking doesn’t hurt :slight_smile:

Does it not capture at all or just black out the window as it does when trying to record (or even screen shot) on native Windows?

I have not yet had any HDCP content to see, but documentation states that the caputre stops completely.

I suspect this is what it looks like. I have no hard evidence that it is HDCP related apart from having encountered this green screen while playing DRM-protected content on other occasions. The fact that looking glass stops displaying frames when this occurs might support that idea as well.
I’m running alpha9 on both host and guest but I suspect these reoccuring green screens are not caused by looking glass as the issue persists through killing the looking glass host-application and has so far only appeared after changing the display resolution of the VM. Just posting in case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

Are you running anything in the background that might be HDCP related? You’re right though, LG shouldn’t affect the physical screen in any way so it’s very doubtful it’s the cause.

No, I have not knowingly played any HDCP content in the background. It was just a really weak suspicion due to having encountered the same problem while streaming HD content before.

who is maintaining the LG aur package? i’ve been stuck on a6 because it hasn’t updated (and im lazy and don’t want to build from source :stuck_out_tongue:)

I was watching the Looking Glass video the other day and Wendell talks about the native resolution of the connected monitor only being 1024x768. The fix for this is a device that emulates a connected monitor but I had an idea, but unable to test. I was having a problem at work with my citrix session applications resizing when the computer went to sleep. I found that there is a simulated monitor that the system looks to when the primary monitor goes offline. I edited this simulated monitor to have a 4k resolution and now it doesn’t resize anything or change their positions! I am wondering if this same method could help have other resolutions available without the dongle. Again, I don’t have a way to test and was an idea only. Hope it helps!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-movesresizes-windows-on-monitor-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?page=8&tm=14391822296751

actually if you reinstall the package it will build the latest version based on master so go ahead

(im not the one maintaining it)

oh neat so it just doesn’t tell you when there’s updates since its just a script to pull and build?

that’s right, yes

Apparently. Using plasma-desktop here

This is amazing, thank you gnif, wendell and everyone else who has contributed.

Anyone with a Ryzen motherboard who gets a Kernel Panic on boot after enabling IOMMU, I may have a solution for you.

Try adding this to your kernel command line “iommu=pt iommu=1”.

I got this error after swapping my GPUs around on an Asrock AB350 Pro4 motherboard. I have an R9 280 and a 1080 Ti.

If this doesn’t fix the issue, try enabling hot-plug in the BIOS for your AHCI storage as my kernel panic was about an SCSI disk. Strangely, if the GPUs were in the opposite positions the kernel panic never happens despite hot-plug being disabled.

Hi. In the docs related to the Libvirt the VM is configured via qemu:commandline. According to libvirt site, the same shared memory device can be configured this way:

<shmem name='ivshmem'>
  <model type='ivshmem-doorbell'/>
  <server path='/tmp/ivshmem_socket'/>
  <msi vectors='1'/>
</shmem>

@gnif, are there any reasons you’ve used raw commandline and not libvirt’s devices xml?

You may need 8 vectors instead of one, maybe.

Yes, I remember there was a suggestion somewhere to use 8 (can’t find now), but in the looking glass docs there is only 1. Anyway, worked for me.

Did you also need to add the xml namespace?

xmlns:qemu namespace isn’t needed in this case.

Is it possible to use the Looking Glass client in a different VM to which the same shared memory is shared to? I.e. if I were to have the host headless and minimal (like an arch install) and have a linux VM for desktop usage and a Windows VM for gaming