Looking Glass FB to Spice Server

First of all thank you for the great work being done on Looking Glass. Got a chance to fiddle with it yesterday and the results were amazing.

I feel like you guys are really onto something but if at all possible I would like to try and pursuade you to make the last step towards open source VDI.

I have been tinkering with xen/kvm for a long time. My end goal being 1 PC to provide the whole house with compute power and 3D acceleration. So every user only has bargain bin hardware but real performance.

Thanks to Steams inhome streaming this has been a reality for a while but I feel dirty relying on Valves solution.

If it were at all possible to use the framebuffer that you have wrestled into the linux host to be piped through the spice server we would have a complete open source alternative.

I have yet to do real research into how spice really works and whether something like this is even possible. After a short google before calling it a night I found this. https://github.com/zengzhuqing/SpiceH264.

Let me know what you guys think.

here’s a problem with your approach.

It requires every access point in house to actually have computer in some sort of fashion whether it is rasp pi or some thin pc whatever to which you will have to remote/connect to spice…

A correct approach where only monitors, and mouse/keyboard are present connected through usb, and/or hdmi and usb to your host machine.

Those could be accomplished with multiple GPU’s. Each for one user, or professional grade gpu’s with sr-iov where one GPU will be split between different users. At that point you would only have to wire your house to your server, and assign those specific hardware to specific home users.

Thanks for your reply and sorry if I was too vague. I am fully aware of using multiple GPUs and as I said all users are on bargain bin hardware which accesses the server via remote client.

I already have this all working, but via Steam for 3D.