Looking Glass Beta 5 Release Candidate 1

After many months of hard work from our team, I am pleased to announce Beta 5 Release Candidate 1 which brings with it a huge number of improvements.

As usual the new version is available for download from the Looking Glass website at https://looking-glass.io/downloads.

If you like this project and find it useful and would like to help out you can support this project directly by using the following platforms.

Changelog:

B5-rc1

• removed SDL displayserver
  • reduced amount of GPU buffer allocations in DMABUF import path
  • implemented frame damage tracking, used to reduce amount of data copies needed
  • added frame damage display mode in EGL backend
  • added cimgui/imgui to the project
  • added frame timings collection and display
  • improved LGMP cursor performance by releasing the memory faster
  • implemented eglSwapBuffersWithDamage for X11
  • don’t allow the mouse to trigger redraws if the video feed is disabled
  • New “Overlay Mode” which allows interaction with imgui windows/widgets
  • Allow the FPS display to be moved
  • Observe XDG_CONFIG_DIR when looking for the configuration
  • Added EGL texture import timing graph
  • Alerts are now rendered using ImGui
  • Added high DPI support
  • add JIT rendering mode for wayland
  • improve fractional scaling for wayland
  • made numbering of IVSHMEM devices consistent
  • Added guest cursor warp support to the KVMFR protocol
  • Added the ability to have post-processing filters
  • Added AMD FidelityFX CAS post-processor
  • Added AMD FidelityFX FSR upscaling post-processor
  • add DMABUF import support in OBS plugin
  • add keyboard LED synchronization
  • fix EGL backend not being detected on some systems (e.g. mesa without libglvnd) (edited)
  • fix cursor blinking issue on certain hardware (e.g. old Intel integrated graphics)
  • Guest cursor is now aligned to the local cursor on window entry using guest cursor warp (Fixes mouse acceleration issues)
  • add ability to reorder post-processing filters
  • add ability to load and save post-processing filter presets.
  • add ability to capture via xdg-desktop-portal+PipeWire on Linux
  • windows host installers are now distributed as 64-bit executables
5 Likes

Not directly related to this version of LG, but I don’t think this warrants its own thread, so I’m just gonna drop this here.

I recently had an idea on how to potentially reduce the overhead caused by the screen capture of the LG host application. Since Windows allows you to duplicate the video output of one GPU to another one, I think it should (at least in theory) be possible to write a virtual GPU driver that relays the duplicated framebuffer to the shared memory device.

I don’t know if this is at all possible or feasible (I have exactly zero experience with driver development), but I thought I’d share it with you anyway. Let me know what you think of this.

This has been discussed many times and countless hours of investigation has been put into finding a way to achieve this already. There is no provision for this in the Windows API/SDK as it stands to do this, our only hope at this time is for a driver in kernel space in Windows to give us greater control but this would require an enormous amount of re-development to make work, let alone determine if it’s even feasable.

See the Goal here: https://github.com/sponsors/gnif

1 Like

I didn’t know you had already looked into this.
It’s unfortunate that this looks like a dead end, as this could significantly improve performance.