Looking for work laptop recommendations

Hi everyone :slightly_smiling_face: I am a bit in the dark about the current notebook market and I need to choose a laptop for my new job.

My hard requirements:

• Ethernet port
  • at least 2 USB 3 Type A ports
  • at least 12 hours of battery life when doing office type work, typing documents, web browsing, programming
  • w-lan and bluetooth connectivity
  • reasonably good display
  • reasonably good keyboard
  • good build quality - it should last some time in a metal workshop
  • easily servicable - I’ll need to be able to remove the oil, dust and metal shards that will inevitably get in there. (I’m exaggerating about the metal shards but the oil is a real problem.)
  • x86 architecture

Nice to haves:

• ExpressCard slot

There isn’t really a firm price target, the company is paying for it but I want the price to be reasonable. I don’t need anything fancy but the device should last. I’m sure I forgot something but this is the rough framework.

Thanks in advance for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

I know I wanted to work on the Linux section, science thread and philosophicum but I can’t get this out of my mind right now. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

Durability seems to be your #1 priority which really narrows it down to a Lenovo ThinkPad, then we just need to figure out which specific model.

To make it simple the choices are more or less X280, T480 or T580 - they’re 13, 14 and 15 inch laptops respectively.

For the type of work you’re going to use it for, nothing too demanding, it can certainly be worth checking out previous generation refurbished ThinkPads - same model name except it’s 60 or 70 at the end, not 80 like the recent generation. For example T460 instead of T480. You can probably get a T460 with great specs for like 700$ in very good/like new condition.

I have a client that use a bunch of X220’s from around 2011. They’re used in the field to troubleshoot and setup industrial equipment. Never any problems and that’s despite taking a heavy beating which visually shows. Most laptops wouldn’t last 3 years or even a few months in such an environment.

2 Likes

How powerful does it need to be? And would a dongle be okay?

If it doesn’t need to be too powerful and you’re okay with a dongle I’d suggest a 2-in-1 or a tablet with keyboard. That way you wouldn’t have to deal with potential ingress through fan vents, and if something does go wrong it’s much easier/cheaper to replace a dongle or keyboard than it is stripping a laptop to bits IMO.

2 Likes

You’re spot on.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the model names! I’m looking into those.

1 Like

Oh, how could I forget the Panasonic Toughbook.

They’re not cheap, pretty, or fast, but they are built like a brick shithouse.

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to be that powerfull, mostly office work and writing some code. For heavy tasks I can use a shared desktop. Although it needs to be x86 architecture because of some software that I’ll need. (sorry, I forgot to mention that)

I’m not really a fan of dongles and I’ll need the ethernet port a lot. But I’ll consider it if it’s worth the trade off. I have been looking into some passively cooled devices too and going the tablet route but I’m not quite convinced about that yet.

true, but personally I prefer to repair devices :thinking:

Yeah, that one and the Dell Rugged line is too expensive in my opinion. Really well built for harsh environments but I think it’s going too far into the overkill direction. But thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

I think you’re right about the “extremely rugged laptops” being overkill. They certainly make sense in some cases but since you’re not going to bring it into the wilderness or onto a construction site the extra price is difficult to justify.

All of the mentioned models feature a magnesium chassis for increased durability and no flex, and there’s full sized HDMI, ethernet and USB ports without the need for any dongles.
Don’t look for the cheaper E and L series, only T and X series.

Since you like to repair rather than replace it’s also worth mentioning that it is very easy to source new parts for ThinkPads, for example from eBay, whether it’s a new CPU cooler, a new keyboard or a battery. They also come with 3 years warranty.

All of the models mentioned are spill resistant to some extend. I’m not sure exactly how much but I know my X1 can take a lot of liquid without problems - though I believe it is one of the models rated for the highest amount of liquid. Here’s an older T-series getting wet: https://youtu.be/1SWi6LlFGjk?t=10

Good luck with the search!

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! also @w.meri

So the difference to E and L is the overall build quality I guess.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe the LG gram 15 would suit your needs if you’re willing to dongle the ethernet connection.

1 Like

What about getac?

1 Like

holy s**t, that thing is expensive!

holy s**t, that thing is even more expensive! This seems to be in the same category as the rugged Dells and Panasonic Toughbooks.

1 Like

It’s better for them to buy one laptop, then multiple laptops because the first one broke. Get the expensive one that has great quality and will last.

1 Like

True, but I still think the rugged category is a bit overkill. They have a couple of “normal” laptops they have in use and as far as I can tell those mostly die a heat death because oil and dust bakes into the heatsink and they don’t get cleaned (or HDDs die because of vibration). With a bit of maintenance I think that can be mitigated.

Decisions seem to be harder when it isn’t your own money you’re spending. :thinking:.

1 Like

If this is legit might be a decent buy. Though need to get an AC adapter (another $50 or so)

Getac and the Toughbooks are good, but expensive as hell new in most cases

1 Like

I found a local company that sells refurbished Laptops with warranty, among them the T460. I’m taking a hard look at that one right now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Curious what happened. Did you end up with a TP or something else?

1 Like

No firm decision yet. There was so much more important stuff to do that I didn’t have time to make a final decision yet, let alone ask the boss for his okay. Thursday or Friday this week I have to get that done.

I’ll keep you updated.

2 Likes

Okay, uhmm … requirements changed, … several times. As of now I’ll be working on a workstations at each location, so no laptop will be needed for now (I expect, that will also change again. lol :grin:).

Thanks @_Simon, @w.meri, @anon46267848, @Goalkeeper and @2bitmarksman for your help! There were several suggestions that I’ve never heard of. I’m sure I can make use of that information in the future.

4 Likes