Looking for Suggestions on New System Build for VM's

Hey everyone,
I’m planning on replacing my old desktop as its starting to have problems.
I will be mainly running VM’s for programming and gaming.
I will be going to mainly use linux with windows in KVM with PCI Passthrough if possible

My idea so far is the

• Ryzen 2700(x)
  • Gigabyte x470 Aorus ultra gaming
  • Corsair vengeance LED 16gb ram kit at 3333mhz
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME drive
  • Palit GTX 1050 ti
    Parts list

Do any of you have any experience with this board and IOMMU? Or do any of you got any tips for a better system for around 1100 euros (I’m from the Netherlands) than i’m open to suggestions

the GB ultra gaming has decent CPU lane separation

hardware looks fine, but you’ll need a second GPU for gpu passthrough. can be something as cheap as a gt 710.

we have passthrough guides here:

I currently use a GT 730 that i might use for that, would there be any benefit for going for the 2700x instead of 2700?

not really as far as virtualization is concerned,

The VRM on that board is basically garbage, especially if you want to run a 2700X.

It will “run”, but it will also be a furnace.

Every X470 board of Gigabyte except for the Gaming 7 is kinda garbage though (which kinda pains me cause I quite like Gigabyte, but anyway…).

If you’re looking for something in that price range, you’re not going to find anthing decent in the X470 lineup (other vendors included).
Instead you could be looking at the very high end X370 boards (GB Gaming 5/K7, ASRock Taichi, Asus C6H, MSI is garbage in the X370 range), because they are basically the same price, with really good VRMs, and you don’t have any disadvantages.

The only thing X470 brings is the “free” StoreMI, which you pay with the board regardless whether you use it or not. Other then that X470 changes nothing.

Technically that Overdrive thingy is a thing, but it’s actually not really a thing because it doesn’t seem to be enabled on any board? Also it’s technically possible for X370 to use it.

Anyway… TL;DR: Get a different MB.

Then… Something else.

This is debatable, but above 3200MHz the gains kind of diminish, so depening on how much you pay extra for the 3333 MHz, you might as well go down a step.

You’re paying a shitton for an NVMe drive, that doesn’t really bring you any advantages if you’re not doing read/write heavy tasks, and then get a cheap-ass GPU along with it? Get a decent SATA SSD and upgrade to a 1060 or even 1070.
Or was that GPU only supposed to be for the host when doing passthrough? Then you could get something even cheaper.

Was looking for other mobo’s and i thought the 8+3 VRM was good enough.
and if i get the Non x version would it be enough?
and sorry I don’t have much experience last system i got was a core i3 2120 where i didnt have to worry about this

the 3333mhz was actually the cheapest i could get atm from local/amazon, but let me look at 3200mhz what it would save me

the 250gb SSD for 90 eur doesn’t sound that bad to be honest, was cheaper than my old 120gb sata ssd
i currently already have a gt 730 and the 1050ti is enough for the games i play atm as i dont play to heavy games and not much recent games

it’s a nondoubled 4+2

honestly though it should be fine if you don’t OC

the taichi is also a decent option.

make sure it’s on the compat list for the mobo otherwise it probably won’t run as advertised

Yea i was looking for the Taichi but wasn’t in the budget.
Would a Asus Prime prime x470 pro be better with a doubled 6+2 vrm?

and i totally forgot about ram compatibility, the 3000 mhz version is compatible with that board or i might for the x370 as mihawk90 sugested

actualy i will get the x370 taichi its cheaper and looks better atleast if the second GPU is in a different IOMMU group by now

It’s a 4+3 with 2 inductors per high/low-side/phase. It’s not even doubled. That’s the problem with VRMs these days, it’s hard to know without actually looking at it physically.
Maybe @MisteryAngel could say more probably.
As for the 2700, they’re not all that different in powerdraw. My statement was also not so much about the power draw, bit rather the cost-value proposition. If you just compare the ultra gaming and the 370 gaming 5 (same price), the gaming 5 is a magnitude better in features and VRM.

I’m not 100% on this, but I think this isn’t doubled either. Might have the wrong board in my head though.

what i could find out it is doubled but it was hard to find
to be honest looks are not even that important,

But i’m now planning on getting the x370 taichi and watching wendels video’s to see if it in separate IOMMU groups as i’m planning on passing the GTX 1050ti to a windows KVM for the games

IMO QVL is overrated on consumer gear. Most will run with whatever, it’s much more important in business where it’s usually part of the warranty.

IIRC IOMMU was pretty good, and one of the USB controllers is separate so can be passed through completely.

yea i saw it was mostly fixed so i will probably connect my old ssd to the PCH for windows gaming and use that nvme for my main os and containers thanks for the tip that there isn’t much difference between x370 and x470

not in the overwhelming majority of unlisted high frequency ram on ryzen. This is well documented.

damn its annoying to find Compatable ram anything i find is not on the list do i really have to worry at this point at time?

just be prepared for it to run slower than advertised

Especially with Ryzen 2000 there’s not much reason to worry about anymore. The IMC can handle basically any kit at 3200 Mhz no problem. The B-Die rule is much more true on Ryzen 1000, and even there it wasn’t even really necessary, just easier.
Hell wendell even got 4 completely different sticks to run at what 2800 MHz or something, that should be evidence enough that QVL is kinda useless.
And Ryzen 2000 runs kits way higher then previously, with the 1000 you basically needed a unicorn chip to go above 3200 MHz.

Remember that QVL is just a tiny subset of RAM they can possibly test, there is no way to test every single kit on the market. There are tons of kits that are identical from a technical standpoint but have different SKUs because they’re marketed differently.

Also they don’t even list multiple kits of the same SKU, are they not compatible then? Debatable at best.

and one last noob question
would you recommend 2x 8gb or 1x 16gb as i remember single channel has a small impact on ryzen

just go for the 2x8 anyway, dual channel can’t hurt and there’s no way you’ll need to upgrade past 32gb later for any home use

true and if i ever need to go higher i can sell the old and get new

• Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra gaming is a 4+3 phase board,
    and if i´m honnest its not really a great board vrm wise really.
    Its not a proper doubling scheme since the ISL95712 pwm is a 4+3 phase pwm but only comes with 2+1 intergrated gate drivers.
    So this means to actually being able to utilize all the 4+3 phases that the pwm could provide, you need to add 2+2 additional drivers.
    This makes it that you cannot really properlly double the amount of phases off this particular pwm.
    Next the that, they also dont really use that great mosfets either.
    The Onsemiconductor 4C10N´s on the highside and 4C06G for the low-side, those are pretty cheap fets.
    So yeah, allthough this particular board is kinda capable to run a 2700X.
    But it isnt particulary a great board vrm wise.

• Asus X470 Prime Pro, is a significantlly better board vrm wise.
    The vrm on this particular board is controlled by an ASP1405 pwm,
    which is a rebranded IR35201, which is running in 6+2 phase mode.
    They used 6 straight phases for Vcor and the +2 phase rail they doubled that to 4 using IR3599 doublers for SOC.
    This results in a 6+4 phase design.
    And Asus has used some decent IR3553 40A powerstages for both Vcore and SOC rail, which are pretty decent powerstages.
    And totally capable of running a 2700X.

• Asus X470-F STrix This is also a very great board vrm wise.
    It shares the same pcb as the X470 prime pro and vrm regulation wise its also the same configuration, but it comes with some nice ROG features.
    Next to that according to several sources it seems that Asus has also spec´d up the powerstages on this particular board.
    They seem to have switched to IR3555´s which are wopping 60A powerstages.
    I did not have had the board in hand myself to double check the claimes of those sources like Buildzoid.
    But i suppose he´s correct.

2 Likes