Looking for suggestions for OS for a at home based cloud system

So I'm looking for feedback regarding setting up my own at home cloud system. Kinda like Google drive. I do end up needing access to my files while I'm away from home. As well as share docs and audio video stuff for side gigs. I was looking at ubuntu server, but I'm thinking that can't be it. I'm hesitant to use MS stuff. Anybody got any suggestions?

Use any linux distro and have it run Nextcloud.

Nextcloud, VMs on top of freenas with plex etc. integration, I think the l1enterprise channel might have tutorials on a few other products, too.

+1 for something BSD based, like FreeNAS.

At work I set up Ubuntu on some old hardware and put owncloud (now using nextcloud) on it. It's pretty slick.

What's the difference between own cloud and next cloud? It looks like it's just a fork. Is it preference or is there something specifically different between the two distros?

From what I understand, some of the devs left owncloud to start nextcloud to make nextcloud FOSS. I could have that wrong though. Dont quote me.

They are, from the outside looking in, identical and work the same.

Most of the devs.

Stick with Nextcloud OP, it has way more functionality, especially in the new upcoming version (12).

2 Likes

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

1 Like

nextcloud is either comprised of disgruntled owncloud devs or their "poached" original talent, depending on who you hear it from.

Owncloud was going to start shipping crippleware and selling a commercial product on top of it, and the nextcloud folks didn't like that. In fact, so many people left that the GMBH that managed the commercial part of the operation closed within 12 hours of owncloud being announced.

Nextcloud development is understandably more active and transparent.

Well after reading through the websites. I've settled on Nextcloud. Now do I virtualize Ubuntu or put it on a dedicated machine?

Hardware is almost always gonna be a better solution. I'd recommend setting it up on FreeNAS instead of ubuntu (boot environments, better networking, and ZFS are much better suited to not losing your data.)

1 Like