Looking for some help cutting some costs

Well, I'd like to start with the fact that this is going to be the first PC that I'm putting together...so [s]if[/s] when there's something blatantly bad with this build, I'd appreciate being told. I've gone slightly above my $1,500 dollar initial budget for this computer and was looking for some help of where I could cut down (I've probably got something excessive somewhere). The computer will primarily be used for gaming but not solely and...ermm, yeah. 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($61.00 @ Amazon)
  • Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($207.55 @ SuperBiiz)
  • Memory: Mushkin Essentials 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($63.98 @ Outlet PC)
  • Storage: OCZ Agility 3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.98 @ NCIX US)
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
  • Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
  • Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.13 @ NCIX US)
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
  • Monitor: Asus VW246H 24.0" Monitor ($196.94 @ SuperBiiz)
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
  • Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $1647.49

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wj58

Thanks for any/all feedback.

For gaming as your main purpose, i honestly doubt you will ever need that absolute monster  3820. Are you sticking to 2011 socket? If so then we really can't drop the price a whole lot, maybe $7 less for a 650w PSU and maybe a few more dollars for less ram. The 2011 platform is darn expensive, the 1155 platform though we can get you a proper gaming rig with most of the same parts you have listed.

Are you interested in a 1155 option? Or maybe even a AMD option as well?

The 3820 is a bit overkill.

If it's just for gaming, an i7 3770K and you can probably afford a fairly decent LGA1155 motherboard at a lower price, dispite the cpu's premium price. 

The 240GB SSD may also be overkill unless you really need it. Otherwise a 120GB drive from Kingston or something should save you about $70.

If you don't overclock, the havik might also be overkill. A CM Hyper 212 EVO will cut that price in half and still provide very decent cooling.

And that *should* cut you down to about $1500 depending on what SSD and motherboard you pick.

What are you going to use the ssd for? If you're not going to record videos to your SSD and you're on a budget i don't see why you would need that many GB on it. You can get away with a 60 GB ssd for booting and some games, or if you want to store more important stuff on it you can get 120 GB. But i don't see 240 GB being necesary unless you've got enough money to aford it.

And of course you could buy another ssd in the future when you've got some more money.

So after playing with it for a while I came up with this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wjsU

I got very different prices than you got and your final build was about $1750 for me.

But anyways, I modified it to be well acceptable around a $1500 price range.

I choose an i5 just because with all your monitor and win7 and keyboard, this is essentially only a $1000 build on the computer itself.

I went with an Asus z77 V-Pro which is one of Asus' top motherboards in their channel series. (personal preference)

Switched out your 16GB ram because win7 Home Premium only supports 8GB anyways.

I went with samsung ram because I've heard they are very overclockable and has very nice ratings on newegg.

I switched out your 240GB SSD with a Samsung 840 120GB which should be more than enough for average use.

I also went with a 650W PSU, its modular and should be able to run a second 7950 if needed. (don't quote me on that) [You can switch back to the XFX 750W if you want]

And lastly went with a Hyper 212 EVO because it works very well as well. (unless you're pushing 5GHz on your cpu or something)

This is just something for reference, I'm not going to say it's perfect because I actually never built a computer but I have gather'd enough knowledge and experience from people that have to be fairly confident about the build. I'd let someone with more experience etc to review it just to be safe.

This is what i came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wjyp

The 3570K is a beast and it should be able to handle every game you throw at it, and of course you can go with the 3570 iif you're not going to oveclock, but they're very similar in price.

You don't need more than a 650w PSU and also corsair makes awesome CPUs.

You could go down to 8GB RAM but i went with 12 on this build. Also it is not true that win7 home premium only supports 8GB; don't believe me? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Samsung makes good and cheap SSDs so i went with a 120GB from Samsung. It has spectacular read speeds and a not so good write speed but let's be honest, you're not writing to your SSD that often.

I would leave this to someone with more experience than me because alike cortzetroc i have never built a computer myself, but i have been picking up information of different parts while researching and watching different reviews etc.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wjLA i was able to cut $100 out and you get a better cpu, lager psu, faster ram, windows 7 pro so you can use more than 16gb of ram, a faster ssd and about the same gpu power i changed it form a 7950 to a 660ti if you want the amd card then i would recommend the xfx 7950 (2fans)

If you are looking at the 4 core 2011 i7 you should realy consider not going 2011. however if you want to upgrade the cpu later for professional work, its not a bad cpu but the i7 on the 1155 will be just as fast or faster than the 2011 cpu. 2011 dose not out preform 1155 on a per core basis you only get faster than 1155 when you ad 2 cores to 2011.(6core i7/8core xeon)

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Not exactly used to getting much response when new to a forum.

Okay, where to start.

I thought the CPU might have been the easiest way to cut down costs, going with the suggestion to drop down to i5. But is there a real difference between 3570k and the 3570? The latter is 5 dollars difference, and while that might seem minor...if there's no noticeable difference between the two I might as well save it.

Also dropped the size of the SSD. Only had that size because I didn't see any  lower memory ones that were significantly cheaper so thought it was worth getting a more expensive one though..missed the Samsung one though.

In regards to the motherboard, I'm honestly completely ignorant on what I'd need/want. Is it worth the extra 60 dollars to get this over this? Honestly..completely blind here, so yeah. Temporarily at least gone for the cheaper option.

Slightly downsized PSU.

Leaving my RAM as it is, if it supports 16GB, I don't see any reason to settle for 12 for 4 dollars less. 

Well, here's a second draft. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wkd2 Within my budget, but would still like feedback if possible.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Edit: New post made while I was typing this. "Might" change my case for the one suggested and take that I7 over my posted build.

The 3570 is a locked CPU the 3570K is a unlocked CPU on diference so if you want to over clock get the K version of the CPU if not you should be fine with the non K one.

Alright, thanks. Gone for the 3570k then.

Oh, and will this computer be capable of streaming games in HD? It's not a requirement as such, but would be a nice bonus to have. (Would also likely be running dual monitor)

if your purpose is gaming/minor video editing i would defo reccomend getting 8gb of ram 16 is completley overkill for a gaming rig and also the ram you have selected is quite slow i would reccomend for this type of a build 1866 or 1600 (which overclocks well).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wleV

8G of ram could cut down the price. maybe a 670 or different 7970 i just picked the cheapest. but ya.

Streaming should be great on this system. I think it depends more on your internet connection if you can stream it in HD though.