Looking for security camera(s)

I’m looking for some cameras. I’ve recently had some goods go missing within minutes of packages arriving while we were at home. I’ve disputed the loss and thanks (I guess) to a good track record, the shipper/seller has reimbursed the losses this time. Its apparent that some party has become wise to our ‘stay at home’ nature and found windows of opportunity to abscond with the goods. I knew I should have added cameras sooner, but now it appears to be imperative to be able to show the goods going missing if nothing else.

To that end, I am looking for 2 types of camera.

I am looking for a doorbell camera that can either be wired or wifi. Since the doorbell wiring is already in that wall, it will be easy enough to bring wired ethernet and power. Secondly, I am looking for the classic mountable outdoor camera that I can mount above my garage doors. The doors are on the side of the house and more out-of-sight than the front door.

I would prefer a more open software type of camera. I would prefer to have a service on my own server for capturing and recording the images. I do not want any kind of cloud/phone home type of camera. I do not need any of the silly mobile app tie-ins. Something I can integrate with that does not require any off-site/cloud services to use and operate.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

often enough the security camera they can immediatly see will deter them
having two cameras dedicated to seeing each direction of traffic for the purpose of getting clear license plates of the culprit would be useful

as a moderator, I have to remind to please respect your local laws and peoples privacy while using security cameras

aside from that I always wanted a security camera setup as well, too many shady people in BFE kentucky

Do you have pillars on your porch? If so have a camera facing downward and at where the packages often are placed and you should be able to see their face(s). That way you can deal with them from there. Barnacules said something along these lines. Often package snatchers have hoods on and face down so that their face can’t be seen.

or do this as one you-tuber did (left packages of dog and cat poop) for the porch pirates.

my choice would be paint traps with indelible ink
( open box and get sprayed with a permanent ink or dye)

had someone tampering with my tools at work! after replacing numerous items i coated a bait set with powdered crystal iodine!
(leaves brown and purple stains on the skin that can take a couple months to wear out!)
the boss had a field day with the jackass with stained hands! :smiling_imp: