Looking for Exploration Rpg

Sup guys. Any games out there that have that story driven/beautiful visual aspect like Vanishing of Ethan Carter?
Im also looking for an rpg element as well.

Think like fallout with more puzzles.

I just need a visual feast to dive into for a couple of days to get me out of my video game rut.

Thanks. Im exploring on my own, but feedback/curation is helpful.

You probably saw this coming from a mile away - The Witcher 3. Beautiful story driven exploration RPG. No puzzles though.

3 Likes

I totally have it already lol.

Thanks though.

1 Like

horizon zero dawn

I don't know if it fits your criteria but I have been enjoying FarCry Primal, but not as a game. I consider FCP to be hiking simulator 10,000 B.C. I visit FCP when I don't feel like playing a "game" because I'm played out on the usual stuff.

There is not too much of a story and a few puzzles, but for me I enjoy the scenery and the animals. For a long time I just wandered around helping people, until I saw someone on YouTube riding a Sabretooth Tiger like a dirt bike with fangs and I had to start "Playing to win" in order to level up to get the tiger.

If you have never played a FarCry game before, FarCry 3 is the best. IMHO.

2 Likes

It might not be up your alley, but STALKER Call of Pripyat with mods is a really cool experience. Although yeah, it's a pretty bleak game haha

Possibly Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain?

You could always get into Mass Effect too, but I'm assuming you may have played those already haha

EDIT: OH! Look into Nier: Automata, it's a little quirky but the combat is awesome, the story is super deep and the visuals are really good (heh.)

1 Like

You could play minecraft nomad style where you can only carry what is on your back and have to move from day to day
Morrowind is good and the openMW project lets you play it on mac, linux, and windows
Mass effect 1 is good also

Narnia on theDS was my dark souls as a kid. Theres lots to learn, its a big ass map, and you die very easily.

Nier automata has a very powerful story and the art direction is superb, however the graphics themselves are pretty dated for a new game and it uses some older game mechanics (which I like) The combat has puzzle elements as well.

There is that tiny little game series, that has been running for 20 years if not more... PES... No, that's something else... It was TES... The last game, known as Skyrim in the very deep underground gaming circles have a couple (trillion) mods, that makes it beautiful experience and it have exploration up the wazoo...
If you don't like the main story - I don't blame you. There are like 15 billion other story lines you can follow...
There is another tiny little rpg, called Dragons Dogma... It may not be the most beautiful game,keeping it's age in mind, so... Yeah...
Still plenty of exploration in both...

Dragon's Dogma, install the high res texture pack mod though. Nobody wants PS3 textures!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild runs on PC with pretty minimal issues now, afaik. If you feel like going down that rabbit hole of emulation, that's one title I'd recommend wholeheartedly. It's a lot of fun.

1 Like

How about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. An absolutely enormous game. Looks good for its age, plays good. It can get a bit repetitive though, but that's the nature of such games. It's a mix of TES, spectacle fighters and MMO's like WoW but it's 100% single player.

Also, Dark Souls 3 is gorgeous. It's creepy gorgeous but gorgeous nonetheless. And I hear that trying to stay alive is a puzzle in and of itself.

Someone's gotta say it.... Skyrim
SOOOOO many awesome mods...

have you played Tomb Raider yet? it has everything you describe: story driven, rpg elements, puzzles, beautiful visuals, exploration

Yes, like Enderal from SureAI. It is more than a mere mod though, more like a whole new game on its own continent in a whole new world. I've been playing it a lot. It is great. You only need the base Skyrim, no need for the DLC.

https://enderal.com/

https://sureai.net/games/enderal/

I think it is great for exploring, as there is stuff to explore almost everywhere in the world. If there is a road, it is bound to lead somewhere. I have had a blast just exploring the world.

fallout 4 with frost mod and new vega with rust mod. they are complete overhauls that change the game into a survival game where you can die from exposure, hunger, tthirst, drug overdoses, ect... besides all the normal guns and such. makes the game much more difficult and ofc overhauls the story and map.

also prey looking nice

1 Like

I've been wanting to try Rust/Frost. looks interesting.

Another game that looks interesting from an explorations standpoint is The Signal from Tölva.

Looks like a beautiful little world to explore.

What kind of framerate is it running?

30 fps. It's one of the rare instances where having a monitor/tv that interpolates the frames makes it better, at least with the camera. At least you can run it at 4K as opposed to 720p though.

Some hackery can make it run at 60fps but the engine ties rendering to the framerate so it'll run at twice the speed if you do afaik.

1 Like