Looking for an ITX AM4 mobo for a ryzen 3700x to do pcie bifurcation or m.2 gpu for VFIO

Hi guys, I got my 3700x and was looking for advice on picking a AMD ITX motherboard. I want to be able to passthrough a fast gpu to a Windows10 VM, and use a basic gpu for the host linux. Since I’m constrained by ITX form factor, I wasn’t sure to go for a m.2 gpu solution or do pci-e bifurcation. Which ITX mobos can support this? b450? x470? x570? Which one should I pick? Looking for ideas from people who attempted something similar in ITX because I plan to use a small form factor case for all this
Thanks

The gigabyte X570 I Aurous Pro WiFi has an option in the BIOS to bifurcate its main 16x slot

No ideas how that effects the iommu groups tho.

I don’t have a pcie backplane to test with.

It does also have two m.2 slots. I can confirm it works with a m.2 to pcie adapter.

If you’re installing two “fast” (presumably full size) GPUs why do you need itx? Im sure once you fit the cards you’ll loose any advantage of itx over say a m-atx board with two native GPU slots.

Edit: TL;DR: what’s your case selection?

2 Likes

^^^ This. Most cases that fit dual GPUs will fit an mATX board anyways.

Well, I don’t have my parts all decided yet, because of the compatibility issues I’m not sure about.

The plan is to have a basic GPU for Linux, to do some browsing and watching videos and maybe play some native games casually (Rocket League at low settings with 60 FPS hopefully), and pass through my EVGA GTX1070 to a Windows VM for more serious gaming.

As far as case goes, I’m leaning towards the Sliger SM560 because I want something small form factor, and also because Sliger offers a Bifurcated 2x PCIe riser as an option.

Other parts I already have: Ryzen 3700x, and WD SN750 SSD

I really would like to keep this build as small form factor as possible, thats why I opted for ITX. I didn’t think mATX was small enough, from my searches I saw they were 15 L or more in volume, whereas the SM560 is 11 L in volume.

With respect to the mobos, I now realize that B450 doesn’t support PCIe bifurcation officially, but can be done with some unofficial methods and probably is buggy. I want to avoid that so that leads me to x470 and x570 in ITX. As far as what works for VFIO, on x570 I found that ASRock’s X570 PHANTOM GAMING ITX/TB3 is confirmed to work, but couldn’t find much else for the other x570 ITX boards.

Hope that sheds some light on what I’m trying to do!

The board mentioned about offers bifurcation, again can’t comment on iommu allocation

I just found partial IOMMU groupings for the Gigabyte X570 I AORUS Pro WiFi here

For anyone else’s reference