Looking for advice on an RMA

Good evening everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on an RMA issue. My Asus GTX 1080 Gaming died on me and I sent it in for warranty work. They finally received it and now they sent me a repair estimate of $1313.89. They claim they found a fan blade broke off (which I know was not from my own mishandling possibly in shipping) and because of the damage the card is out of warranty. Does anyone know what I can do to get this resolved without having to sell a kidney to do so?
Thank you for all your help.

When they really want 1313.89 to fix it, tell them to F themself and buy a 2080ti for less.
A factory new GTX 1080 costs $800, used less than 450.

Could also ask them to fix everything else and leave the fan be (replacements are available for arround $20).

2 Likes

Just chatted with Asus. They are sticking to their guns. The broken fan blade voided the warranty completely. This is ridiculous. I wish I knew someone with Asus connections to help with the situation.

1 Like

That killed Asus as an option for me or to be recommended completly.

1 Like

Could try to file a complaint on BBB or try to work your way up through supervisors until you can get someone with the authority to make that decision.

The other option is legal.

Did you take pictures of the card before it was sent?

I wish I knew I had to take them before sending it in. I guess we are at a stalemate. I submitted a shipping damage claim so we will see what happens. I was told that I should know by Tuesday. I’ll keep you guys up to date with what goes on.

1 Like

Was the package insured?

I believe so as I bought the shipping label through Asus. This has become more of a nightmare the longer this goes on. I can see why some people avoid certain brands. This will certainly have me second guessing another purchase from Asus.

I found this on BBB

Might try opening a complaint to get somewhere.

1 Like

Thank you for this! I just got an email saying that they need my receipt. I got this as a gift and don’t have the receipt. But, they will knock off 30% of the cost to repair bringing it down to the cost of a new RTX2080.

wow, what an insult.

3 Likes

That sums up my experience with Asus: A fucking joke, and an overpriced one at that.

3 Likes

Chat with all of the tech sites you can and publicise the issue.

Its bullshit. one fan blade will not result in failure on a GPU that has thermal protections.

edit:
seconding asus being useless for support, and at least their non-motherboard hardware is over-rated and falls apart or is unsupported in my experience also.

1 Like

When did you buy it, and what country are you in?

Since you didn’t buy it, it doesn’t matter.

Whoever bought it should file a small claims suit. It usually costs about $40-$100 to file in the US.

The goal isn’t to win the case. The goal is to make them honor their advertised warranty and fix your issue. Doing so is usually cheaper then sending their lawyers to defend against the small claims case.

1 Like

Asus RMA is trash have dealt with it before, sent back boards that never actually fixed my issue was X99 but still

Thank you for all of your advice on this issue.

Update:
They finally got back to me about my shipping damage claim and turns out it was damaged in shipping! Finally a breakthrough in dealing with this. They are going to send me a new/refurbished unit to replace the dead unit!

It only took ascending the seven layers of customer service hell to get what them to honor their warranty.

I probably would have stopped pushing to get them to replace it but it had become a matter of principle.

4 Likes

You are in the states?

I wonder if your states attorney general could have helped.

There was a story from a guy on the Apple subreddit where he got the equivalent of the attorney general to get Apple to replace his phone when they didn’t want to. Although, the guy was from Australia

I live in Minne’snow’ta but I am not sure my attorney general would be of much help. I don’t have a ton of confidence in his ability or his knowledge.

I told the wife about the fiasco that was finally resolved and she was happy that it was taken care of. Although after telling her about it she started to ask questions about my computers and why I bought more equipment to replace the card that had died instead of waiting for the replacement to happen. So many questions… The exact reason I didn’t go to her in the first place. Ugh.

1 Like