Looking for a self-updating, low maintenance home server solution

I have been using Arch Linux for a while to run my home server/NAS. This worked fine but was constantly needing updating packages for Plex etc. I am now trying out RancherOS. I am running this with a few containers for Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Transmission etc.
RancherOS is OK but has it’s niggles to make it feel like it isn’t ready for general production.

What I am really looking for is a system that can be easily updated, preferably without much user interaction. Preferably auto-updating, but more realistically a web-ui with buttons to update without having to ssh and run a package manager weekly.

Has anyone found a solution similar to this? Or am I asking for something crazy here? :smiley:

Hmmmm, maybe I should look at CoreOS? Looks like they have a webapp that will allow me update the system without much hassle…

Maybe you want to take a look at the hat family Atomic Host: containers, containers, containers and has easy to setup auto updates… even tho setting up a cronjob you can auto update any system.
Dunno about webgui tho.

Edit:
Yep, there’s a gui
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/getting_started_with_cockpit/

2 Likes