Looking for a router

Good Day

I am looking for a good router that can handle at least 20 wireless connections. The range only has to cover the average house size. I am just looking for one that can connect enough devices as well as still have at least 4 ports in the back for my wired devices.

Thanks
Erola

What kind of budget?

I would have suggested TP-Link, the hardware is reasonable, and its fairly cheap. But they have recently decided to lock down their firmware to disallow 3rd party firmware. Essentially removing your choices, so i wouldn't recommend them any more.

I have a good tp-link now works great was just wondering sticking with them would be best.

After speaking with the guys at Linksys this year, and looking to acquire the 1900ACS. Slap OpenWRT on it.

oh sorry did not see budget part does not matter from 100 to 500 USD

1900ACS or above with OpenWRT is my recommendation. or get one that works with tomato firmware almost as robust as OpenWRT

Generally consumer grade stuff performs better with fewer clients but really can't compete with enterprise stuff when it comes to more users.

Now you didn't really specify what type of use or load the 20 connections would imply but try considering a router + 2 AP setup. People here and most enthusiasts speak highly of UniFi APs.

I just got done chatting with Linksys about these, Expect some snazzy videos in the near future.

1 Like

If you're going to do that, go ahead and grab a proper access point from a company like Ubiquiti. Those will handle multiple clients a lot better, especially the Unifi N AP Pro. Even the more expensive APs (around the $300 mark) still leave you $200 for a router, and with an AP that good you're better off going with pfSense, or maybe an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter. I've heard good things about the EdgeRouters, and they're only $100, but I'm a devoted pfSense fanboy...lol

Can we see some tutorials on OpenWRT in general? And maybe how it compares to pfSense? I'm assuming it doesn't offer quite as much since we're talking PC versus little embedded thing, but I'd be interested to see the price/performance of each one. Power consumption would likely be a major advantage for a "real" router over pfSense.

1 Like

I'm told someone got a version of Ubuntu running on the 1900ACS.

But yes, OpenWRT will definitely be more prevalent in future videos. It's got a lot of tricks up it's sleeve.

1 Like

i will be on the look out for those videos. need to replace my ageing cisco linksys E3000 (running tomato firmware). if the 1900ACS or its bigger brothers meet or exceed or expectations i am going to pick one up when i see it on sale.

Netgear has some good stuff. I use the Nighthawk tri band and I have roughly 25+ devices running on it.

If it's got enough horsepower for that it may actually be able to run pfSense...I'm no expert but Linux seems similar enough to BSD that you could port it over. I heard somebody had a pfSense install running on an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter. At the very least, you could install Untangle on top of Ubuntu and have all sorts of fun.

That wouldn't surprise me, doesnt look like the hardware is anything special, just getting it to boot right i would thinks the issue.

WiFi on pfSense is pretty crap youd probably render the wifi capability useless or limited.

Agreed. Ubiquity makes solid products.. I've got a single Unify AP AC LR (Long Range) at home. And i'm more than impressed with it's performance and range. I think the AP AC Pro is overkill for use at home. I have got the AP connected to the Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite. This is a blazing fast powerfull router, with tons of features. However; EdgeOS (a port of vyatta) is aimed towards professionals / prosumers, so knowlegde about networking is needed.... or at least the will to learn.

Yeah, the Pro APs in general seem like overkill to me, but definitely the AC one. If the N AP Pro wasn't so expensive I'd probably have gone with that one, but that much more money just for 2 1gbps ports instead of 1 100mbps port wasn't worth it for the 3-4 devices I'm using mine for. I really only have such a good AP because I got tired of dealing with the mess that is consumer WiFi routers, and because I wanted something with VLAN support so I can mess around with things easily.