Looking for a new laptop that's thin, professional looking and powerful!

Hey L1Tech,

How’s everyone doing? As the title says I am looking for a laptop. Keep in mind I already have a desktop but looking for a good laptop as well. This will be in Canada and I am looking to spend between $1000 to $2200 (dad offered $1200 and I can spend max $1000). The thing is I am doing a risk management business in the side as something to do while I look for engineering jobs/masters and doing side projects, so I can’t be carrying a heavy/flashy laptop, but at the same time I want this to be a good investment, so I am looking for something that can be as powerful or be able to handle anything I through at it like my desktop. So I am thinking something that can good at office productivity but can handle say gaming or audio/video editing on the downtime or handle side projects such as programming, 3D, hpc simulation/visualization and such. So i was eyeing the XPS 15 for $1899.99CDN and it has the 256 SSD for boot speed, an i7 7th gen cpu and a gtx 1050, so its slim and not to flashy but it has the hardware for me to both game and yet handle anything i through at it.

Thoughts? Is the surface powerful enough?

Personally I would stick with the Dell XPS Developers Edition (I believe they still manufacture them for Ubuntu) had I any input in the matter. Especially with the specifications you make mention of. Yet this is more subjective from me based upon personal preference more than anything else.

Idk, about all the DELL.

I just know my DELL XPS13 9370 does not really come with much of a change. I ended up bying the non-developer edition.

The Developer Edition has

• No Windows License (obviously)
  • No Fingerprint Sensor (as DELL didn´t make Linux drivers for it. It´s actually physically not present on the developer edition)
  • Has INTEL Network card instead of Broadcom. It works fine with the Broadcom too (on Linux too), but you can change that easiely if you really care that much.

I valued the Sensor and Windows License higher. Maybe there is a driver out there you can use on Linux for the Sensor too. Didn´t really check for that, yet.

I know there are drivers for fingerprint sensors that cover a majority of what is available upon the market as of this comment, yes. Should be just as easy to compile a firmware blob if need be even so. Regarding Broadcom, personally I would dump it in favor of anything Intel made wireless wise. Broadcom is and will always be crap for pentesting networks, etc. They rarely if ever provide source code needed for drivers required to work properly. And by properly I mean reliably as expected by any sane consumer.

Footnote: Consider this more my own personal take.

Went to ms store and found out the Asus laptop was cheaper than the xps 15. Its basically black with a silver rog logo. So I bought it instead. Got a free office subscription too.

1 Like

Specs?

I7 7700hq, 16gb ram, 1tb hybrid had and 256gb ssd, gtx 1060. It’s a 17 inch 1080p panel though

1 Like

Dell XPS is a good choice. The MSI GS65 stealth is definitely worth looking into as well.

1 Like

Excellent specs. If you got that cheaper than an XPS, I think you came out ahead.

If you think that’s bad, you’re more spoiled than I am.