Looking for a laptop

You can find Lenovo Thinkpad X230, X240, X250, T430, T440, T450, T530, T540, T560 on ebay for $200-$500 easily. Since their the buisiness models they have a spill proof keyboard that lets liquid through the computer without damaging the mother board. Lots of Linux devs use them and are supported by most distros without too much trouble.

2 Likes

Totally do a thinkpad if you can get a good deal :P

1 Like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-14-Core-i5-3427U-1-8GHz-4GB-RAM-new-256GB-SSD-/152445618965?hash=item237e778b15:g:obwAAOSwJ7RYU~uB would something like this be a good buy?

If it works yeah.

I'm gonna hop on this thread and ask anyone have a recommendation for the best laptop APUs APPs in the 4-500 range?

Just want something i can take with me and play CIV on

These are pretty solid. I would recommend a ssd, probs a 240gb or higher, otherwise should be golden for what you want to do.

If you can wait till q3 or q4 wait if not. Its kinda flavor of the day and where you are. The A10s and a12s all should be "ok" at civ but don't expect anything crazy.

1 Like

Just get an old dell latitude, thinkpad or elitebook with an ivy bridge or later CPU. My needs are basically the same as yours and I managed to nab one with a 1600x900 panel for like ~£100 iirc. It's easy to fix stuff because the manuals are good and everything's not soldered down. Can even replace the CPU in this thing with a quad core if need be.

Stick some extra RAM and an SSD in and you're grand.

Battery's been fine for me. If you needed to you could just get an extra one.

The only thing I would caution with the X1 is the lack of upgrade path for ram and storage on newer models

1 Like

mmmmm thinkpad clit.

check your local CL? get something decent from there and slap an ssd in it.

I live in the middle of nowhere there is no Local CL...

I got through first semester with only a desktop and it was okay because I didn't have any group projects; if I had had to work on a presentation with other people I would have been boned. I didn't have time to monitor all of ebay, so I got a refurbished UX305 for $500. It's nice, nicer than I really need tbh. I would have gone with a chromebook if they took normal SSDs--the horsepower would probably be enough. I'd go used if you have enough time to shop around.