Looking for a laptop with super battery life performance

not really worth the trouble and price for me, my budget is around $800

Fair enough, the battery life is superb. However the cost is the major drawback of the units.

However if you are in education you maybe able to get an educational discount (14% off).

i was referring to my personal latitude that listing i linked is 14"
i'll see what else i can find that's new.

P.S. you'll pay out the ass for anything like this new.

this has everything you want and could probably go without charging for over a day.

I really wanted xps 13 but the problem is the $800 one doesnt have 8GB ram which is a deal breaker for me.

Do you really need 8gb? cause it's looking like you either give up some ram and such or you get used..
tbh i think you should really consider that dell i linked earlier, what's the worst that could happen? motherboard dies and you're out another 100 bucks and you still saved money. tbh i don't forsee anything going wrong with it it's pristine.

1 Like

Inspiron ftw :) just sayin'

Yes it seems inspiron 13 has everything I need actually

oh damn nice catch i didn't even see that sale.

I recently made the decision to purchase a Chromebook 15 C910. I made the purchase based on Linux/Steam as the benchmark medium. I needed a single GPU laptop with AMD's bad support and With Nivida's Optimus technology. The i5 is great matched with the Intel HD 5500. I am liking my purchase except for the ugly boot screen in Chrome's BIOS. I'm glad I bought a Chromebook for Linux.

I have no hate for chromebooks. they are excellent machines for Linux distros..

It's just most chromebooks with the exception of a select few. aren't work machines. ChromeOS has a Gentoo backend. so each chromebook is optimized for the machine it's installed on. if the chromebooks had a bigger storage capacity and much more ram. i'd be all for it.

but the only thing that is insane machine is the Chromebook Pixel. and the con of that machine is as i previously mentioned.. is the hard drive. 32 GIBS is not enough for people. it is for Linux but installing updates. putting your files and getting work done. 32 GIB will go out the window quick.

1 Like

2nd hand or last gen MacBooks aren't a bad idea. It will run Linux and has decent battery life.

add your own lithium ion batteries

1 Like

Is there any tutorial how to do this? This seems really interesting I might do this on my old laptop!

I use a Chromebook Pixel as my college laptop! I have the 64gb model, using a NAS for most files and cloud storage for a lot of my projects I have so far not ran out of space.

business grade laptop - thinkpad/dell/hp + 9 cell battery. Have a scout around for an ex-business unit then grab a nice big ssd, the extra ram if needed plus the 'new' big battery and bam! you got yourself a mobile workhorse.

You could consider the Asus UX305LA (I5 W/ 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD) version but one issue is that thermal dissapation might be an issue. Also, I am not sure if a Backlit Keyboard is an issue for you. I have personally been using a UX305FA (Core M, 8GB RAM, 256Gb SSD) for daily college use (Word docs, and some browsing) and it sometimes does have an issue with regards to heat. and that may be an issue with the I5 model with Win 10 as well. The battery life on it can vary depending on how hard you push it, but with the Core M model I can get a full day's worth of use for class (6-7+ Hours @ 40% or so brightness.)

The I5 Model should have a much bigger grunt than the core M and should not lag as much as the core m. I have ran into the issue with the core M with regards to Youtube 1080P 60fps playback at times...

if all you're doing is PDF reading and e-mails, the HP stream has an 8 hour battery life.

Merica