Looking for a Job in Detroit Metro

Hi guys I’m Looking for a Job. If any one knows anybody that needs a new jr. admin I would love to chat with them. Preferably Dealing with Linux however I can use windows as well.

1. Look for a job on the internet
  2. ???
  3. Profit

On a more serious note i dont think your going to get anywhere by asking on here. Even more so when your providing zero information about job experiences, training, etc.

Look into Quicken Loans

2 Likes

I was just wondering if anyone knew anyone.

Not investing too much time on LV1 to find a job, of course I’m looking in other places?

thanks for the heads up

Not true. You’d be surprised how many of us work for Fortune 500 companies who have dozens of job openings. (I’m not one of them, unfortunately, but they’re out there)

Much more true.

@ruberbandman109 If you’re not already on LinkedIn, I’d recommend it. As much as I dislike social media sites, I got my current job through it, and it’s helped people I know IRL in the past.

2 Likes

or how many people live in SE michigan :wink:

I second this

1 Like

Yep.

Oh, @ruberbandman109 it’s worth noting that lots of companies are becoming more open to telecommuting for IT work these days. Depending on what you do, of course.

Don’t think this is the place for this kind of post. You might want to go onto Reddit in /r/sysadminjobs.

There’s no harm in it, but OP might get a bit more help from /r/sysadminjobs. Just make sure your reddit user is politics free, otherwise the potential employer can see that.

Checkout LinkedIn, Dice.com, Monster.com, Indeed.com, in that order, for finding Junior Admin jobs.

If you’ve been applying and you’re not getting calls, chances are your resume is the issue. If you have limited experience, or no experience as an admin, desktop support, etc. then you need to have a Projects section of your resume with buzzwords (don’t lie, though), and hyperlinks to the projects themselves or an online portfolio to showcase your work.

You can host for free on WordPress (I think?), GitHub, and a few other sources out there. Don’t be afraid to spend a little bit of money, like $5 a month for a server and $30 a year for a domain name. Let’s Encrypt makes https easy (unless you’re using punk ass NodeJS :rage: ) so you’ll be able to show off simple concepts to those that pay attention to detail.

Be yourself. Build a professional, clean profile on LinkedIn. You don’t have to post, but keep your “resume” section up to date and, I recommend, follow some groups you’re interested in. There are Cloud Architects, Malware Analysts, and Linux groups on there. There is an “Easy Apply” for a lot of jobs that give you a direct upload to their site with your resume. It takes maybe 15 seconds, less if you’ve uploaded before. I’ve gotten my last 3 jobs from LinkedIn, and all of them came with a substantial pay raise. I always come off braggy saying that, not my intention. I just want to express how powerful of a tool it is. Its sole job is to get you a job.

Tell us a bit about yourself, and your experience, and we can push (or shove) you in the right direction.

1 Like

mlive has a jobs section that might be worth taking a look at.