Looking for a good Manjaro laptop

Something with an i7 + Nvidia graphics will get you covered.

2 Likes

Good, now, you haven't specified a budget. If you can give us a number to work with, we'll have a better time. Obviously, no one wants to spend more than they have to, but if your max is $700, it's going to put us in a different mode than if your max is $1500.

@SgtAwesomesauce

Target is $2,000
Nothing over $3,000

3 down on thread.

Ah thanks, gotta read more carefully.

I wouldn't worry about that. They choose hardware to put into their laptops that works on Linux, so, unless it's custom hardware (which they push patches upstream into github.com/torvalds/Linux for) it's never going to have a compatibility issue between distros.

Now, with your budget, I'd recommend an Oryx Pro from System76. Give it a few upgrades, throw on the 4k display, which will give you the option to have a GTX 1070 in the Laptop. You also get a 6700HQ which is quad core, ht, just low power, which means you'll have a turbo speed of 3.5GHz instead of the desktop chip's 4.2GHz. Still a damn good CPU. If you choose 16GB of ram and the 500GB m.2 SSD along with the 4k display and 1070, your total will be $2255 USD. I'm not sure if you're looking for a specific form factor, but this is going to be an absolute beast of a machine.

Obviously, those options are up to you, but the Oryx starts at $1500, so you can definitely play with the pricing on there. If you don't want the 4k display, you lose the 1070 option for some reason, but you can still get a 6GB 1060, which userbenchmark says is 10% faster than a 970.

@SgtAwesomesauce
It's probably Battery life range.
They may have a set scale for that laptop

I would just have a text blurb that pops up saying "more powerful GPU's will reduce maximum battery life"

But that's just me.