Looking for a database software suggestion

TLLLLLLDR - looking for a suggestion for pre-made database package with webserver and all that’s needed built in to customize for historical artifacts.

Hi All - I need to build a database whereby each entry will only really need a few things…pictures or scans of an item or document, links to the original files for download, comments, the text if it is a document (like from running OCR on it), categorization, maybe a few other fields like dates, times, places, people, and also need to keep logs of the metadata. I don’t really know databases well though.
Think of a NetBox server but instead of mapping a network it will be MUCH simpler as it will be for the local historical society to use for digitizing their documents and taking pictures and archiving those docs and pics in a searchable database with some key fields also. MUCH simpler than NetBox but that is what comes to mind when I think of the interface…some different categories on the side, search bar at the top, center has the pictures, documents, etc., and can drill down or over or whatever as needed (not sure that will be needed too much but some categorization of artifacts IS needed).
Any suggestions? I have built out NetBox and am using it now which is why it comes to mind…I’ve installed and admin’d things like Plex, Home Assistant, etc., and I would like to run this on a simple old desktop with Ubuntu Server installed that I manage with Cockpit. Nothing special…probably my Supermicro X8STi with way more cores and mem and networking than is needed BUT its here and so its free as I can donate it to them.
I have never BUILT a database interface for the web or integrated like MariaDB in with nginx for instance - that’s the thing. I’ve done lots of installing other people’s creations…I just setup a NextCloud Snap instance the other day on a VM on my own homelab server - but haven’t made the software myself and would prefer some generic starting package with a customizable DB, nginx (pref) or apache or whatever, and a management interface for customizing fields and adding entries and then of course have it be where users can view that data or add new entries (permissions based of course).
Suggestions? I imagine this exists and is simple and i just don’t know it. Sorry for the long explainer.

You can leverage your experience and manage a simple old desktop with Ubuntu Server installed, which you can easily handle through Cockpit

If you’re looking for a pre-made database package with a web server and all the necessary components to customize if for historical artifacts, I’ve got a suggestion for you.

1 Like

yea thats what i’m looking for - what are you thinking?

yea that’s likely what I’ll do but is there a generic database package with a webserver to act as the fronted - something generic enough to use for historical items almost like an inventory perhaps?

It does not use a database, or better it uses a nosql database, but it’s a good starting point…

1 Like

Why not just use the cloud? Things like DynamoDB already exist

1 Like

Because compared to a repurposed server (free) that runs local (free) it costs too much and still require you to write the software as opposed to using an already existing open source project? Also it requires always on internet connectivity…

1 Like

Building a custom database interface might sound daunting. Have you considered exploring custom software development options? It could be a great solution, especially if you want a tailor-made database with all the features you need.

1 Like

What about Ruby on Rails. It pretty much solves the full stack for you.

1 Like

I’d agree that a full stack framework might make sense. I am not a Ruby fan, but there are options in python, node.js, go. etc. and all those languages have builtin db libraries to make db interactions easy. That’s a lot of work though, to model data and design/build UI.

Another option would be a document database that already speaks HTTP. CouchDB comes to mind.

A third lower-lift option would be to shop github for an existing full-stack app or boilerplate app that does something close to what you want, deploy that, and then iterate/deploy on that code. e.g. if I found a movie review app, it’d contain image upload, blurb upload, and maybe star ratings. A lot of it’s just common UI elements for text, images, etc. and there’s not much point re-inventing, so this would be my choice for a 1.0

2 Likes

sorry this is so damn late - i think ive nailed it down to using Paperless-NGX…i found a great github called tteck (Proxmox VE Helper Scripts | Scripts for Streamlining Your Homelab with Proxmox VE) and maybe yall know it already but he had a one-line LXC container script for proxmox and i just built a proxmox server so i think its a good fit…like, for what im doing the software should be PERFECT - can upload pictures and text, its old people friendly(-ish), low footprint and resources, now i just need to build a server for them so its not on mine…
any thoughts, opinions?
anybody ever tried paperless-ngx before?
i greatly appreciate the feedback, yall have given me a LOT of reading and research material which has been super helpful already so regardless of if this is the final decision i super appreciate ya

so i think i just found what youre referring to with paperless-ngx that i just posted…really you were spot on, it just took me longer than it probably should have to find it but thank you a ton, yours was the exact advice i was looking for

1 Like

Yeah, good find!

I’ve heard of both paperless-ngx and that helper scripts project. I’ve tried neither one but it sounds like a really good starting point based on what the original goals were :smiley:

1 Like

Nice find … I already have proxmox running, will give it a try as well :+1:

1 Like

(post deleted by author)