Looking for a better computer chair

I usually see them for ~ $150 unless you're going particularly high end.

I am going to quickly throw this in because no one else has brought it up...

Buying an expensive chair won't solve your problem. Sure, get a good chair but if you want to change how your body ages in a good way:

1. Stop sleeping in your chair. Do I really need to explain this? You feel sleepy... go to bed!

2. Start building muscle. Building up strength in key areas like your back, stomach, gluts and legs (yes legs) will aid in your posture and reduce a good deal of damage you might incur from prolonged incidents of stillness.

Just food for thought.

Best of luck finding the right chair. :slight_smile:

Yeah. I really don't set out to sleep in my chair.

I will just lean back to think about a problem and will fall asleep without even knowing it.

And yes, I exercise in the morning so that my body doesn't completely rot from sitting in the chair so long. My physical health is a huge concern because I simply don't leave the house that often anymore.

1 Like

I am a tiny little guy, so our situations are not similar. I have been sitting in chairs in front of a monitor since... decades...

I grew up athletic, but muscle quickly deteriorates when you stop moving just the same. I sit cross-legged 95% of the time. This seems to force me to keep my back straight... and off of the back rest. So I do, in fact, contract my muscles in order to sit.

Again, just food for thought.

I'm gonna second the Steelcase Leap. I got mine for relatively little money, and I love it. I need a headrest for it though because otherwise my head rolls back and it really kills. I need support for my head, otherwise I slouch, and that defeats the purpose I had for getting the chair in the first place.

One thing I will mention though which @WolfStrong touched upon is that it's a comfortable chair, but it's not a cushion made of clouds - if you buy it with the expectation that it's going to wrap around and hug you like an old sofa or a staples chair, you're going to be disappointed. I'll be honest, this was my experience with it (I'm only about 130lbs). It's made to provide tough, resilient support for your body, not get mashed into a flattened piece of foam in two years. Once I changed my expectations, I've grown to love it. it's a solid tank of a chair with all the adjustments you could want. Made a marked improvement in my back as well.

Steelcase leap and the Hermann Miller Aeron always get the buzz. I am told that IKEA make a chair with a decent fit (Markus) for a lot cheaper. Not terribly adjustable so it either fits you or it doesn't. A firm chair that actually fits doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles. An expensive fit that doesn't fit can be awkward even with all the bells and whistles.

If I had all the dollars I'd buy an leather aeron with a headrest but a local shop will probably find me a better deal on a chair that fits at office depot or ikea. Don't get me wrong if I had 10k for a nice standing desk, chair, shelving etc I would go Herman Miller, If I have 3-5k I'd go steelcase. But In the end I would rather replace my chair every 3 years and send the farts to the landfill than try to make a Aeron last 15.

Let me emphasize this again: lots of cushion =/= comfortable. Those office reps were right; those fluffy chairs tend to REALLY suck for that exact reason of failing. Laz-e-boy is not the same company they use to be, and tend to sell pretty shitty products this day and age. Even a 5-10 year old Steelcase Leap will outlast, and be more comfortable than a brand new Laz-e-boy. There really is no comparison once you get into premium chairs like Steelcase/Harmon Miller.

AGAIN: Having lots of foam DOES NOT prevent pain and give you all day comfort. You can buy a nice expensive chair, cover it in latex, and be WORSE off than something like a Aeron with NO foam. SUPPORT and MOVEMENT is what allows you to sit all day in comfort. Having a chair that can constantly adjust throughout the day to fit your posture and give you proper support for new sitting positions is what allows you to sit all day, and THIS is (combined with build quality) is what makes Steelcase/HM chairs so good.

Lots of foam actually can make things WORSE because it doesn't give you proper support, and instead can put unnoticed strain on joints. You literally won't notice the pain until its too late and something pops out of place. I've actually thrown my hip out of place from this EXACT thing, thinking lots of cushion was good without giving thought to proper support, and holy crap, that was one of the most painful things I've ever encountered. Seriously, I can not stress this enough.

Lastly, MOVEMENT. If you are experiencing pain, its likely due to poor support or poor blood circulation. Get out of the chair for even just 30 seconds every hour or so and stretch; get that blood flowing. Even repositioning yourself in the chair and adjusting the chairs support for the new seating position does wonders as far as blood circulation goes and extending the amount of time you can comfortably sit. Working out or twice a day is not the full answer, because you need to keep some movement going throughout the day. Keep that blood flowing. You will find yourself able to concentrate better after a quick 30 second standing stretch and work longer than anything else you can do.

As for the Ikea chair; its not terrible, but again as a bigger guy, it just felt cheap compared to my Leap and didn't offer anywhere near the amount of adjustability and support. For the price, it really wasn't bad, but for as much as I sit at my desk, I wanted the best, and through all my research and experience, the Leap is just that.

EDIT: Wall of text, I know, but these are hard lessons I've learned over the years from throwing out countless chairs, countless trips to the chiropractor, and way too much money spent. Take it to heart, and save yourself the trouble I went through.

bought this one a few weeks ago. For me its the perfect chair but i dont know how comfy it will be if you try to fall asleep.
http://www.topstar.de/en/at-the-office/drehstuehle/open-art.html

I'm only offering you rambling

Monitor size & position will affect as much as that chair because it affects how you end up sitting there, like changing that chair wont help where you align that dear head which is something to consider when sitting there 24/7

About chairs I know nothing, I'm slav squatting no matter which random pole you set for me and my body just goes that way!

That said I would arrange setup so that I'm every now and then getting new chair which then alters sitting style, dont think such thing as superior chair exists and even that fancy couch throne will end up conjuring new stiffs or numb limbs or worst, ..numb balls which I'm getting from classical office chairs :smiley:

Bonus
This does wonders, especially after stretch when dialing body back to just laying which feels like there is coin size spread between spine joints, with deep breath sometimes joint or two will pop

Everyones body is different. What works for some may not for others.

La-Z-Boy is not the same company no. There are a lot of companies that arent the same. Having said that though they definitively are not awful either. For what I paid for mine I dont regret it. We will see how it holds up as time passes I guess. You are right about there being no comparison between "premium" chairs like the ones you mention. They are in completely different price brackets. To expect that a ~$250 chair is as good as a ~$750 chair would be silly. I think its still pretty good though. You cant talk shit on a Honda just because its not a Bentley is all I'm saying here.

This is somthing I can 100% agree with. As a CAD guy, my work chair is intimate with my ass for more hours than my home chair. My work chair is absolute garbage and I have to get up at least every hour.

It's good to see someone take ergonomics seriously! Ergonomics is one of those things that if you ignore, the effects sneak up on you so slowly, you have no idea what happened, but I guarantee, an ergonomic workspace would've prevented or at least slowed down those injuries. Once you start learning about ergonomics, you realize it's a topic with quite a lot of depth and breadth.

This guide is old but the information is still very relevant.

This one is less dated in appearance and lists some keyboard shortcuts and stretches you can perform.
http://www.worksafenb.ca/docs/OFFICEEdist.pdf

This one even talks about the desk itself being an ergonomic piece of furniture. Probably the most comprehensive guide I've found.

Another one, has useful image of an ergonomic setup, probably as informative as the one I listed before this.
http://cap.mil/Documents/CAP_Ergo_Guide.pdf

I after looking through these, I'm certain most of people's desk setups (and work setups) are not ergonomic.

None of that is a surprise.

My only issue right now is I have a choice between spending 1K on one of the chairs recommended. Or 2 K on this thing here.

https://www.relaxtheback.com/office/ergonomic-chairs/lifeform-ultimate-high-back-executive-office-chair.html

This chair I have actually sat in and has a balance between complete ergonomics and some comfort.

I am trying to find some boutique shop that might carry the other chairs mentioned.

buy a used Herman Miller Areon!

can be found fro $200-400 USD used, they retail for $1200 or so

chair

Bigger is better.

Haven’t read everything here but I am using a steelcase please for a while now and I can highly recommend it.

I’m getting Kulik System’s Monarch most likely next month
https://kuliksystem.it/en/products/home.html

All the gamery gimmick is totally unnecessary in a chair.

Yeah, that is way more subtle…

Why are you guys replying to this necro’d thread by a spammer? c’mon boys.

1 Like

Because they’re from the lounge and have no sense of direction.

Anything constructive or are you “boys” sitting on the carpet playing legos?