Looking for a 3U / 4U storage server

For work I am looking for a cheap way to store our backups because our current backup server is running out of storage. Currently we are running a old I think a HPE DL380 G7 or 6 with about 28TB worth of storage capicity. It only has 1 CPU (6 core) and 40GB of ram but it was running fine for our workload. We are using Veeam and Ahsay to make backups for costumers as well as our own servers.
My idea is to get a replacement server with about 40 - 60TB worth of storage capicity.

The new server doesn’t have to be fancy or new, ideally we want to run esxi on it with 2 VM’s.
1 for windows server 2019 for veeam and Ahsay and a linux vm to run a ZFS filesystem.

Hope you guys got any ideas, I looked all day but only things I found were expensive SAN’s or some cheap new servers with some B quality hardware.

Budget and location

We are located in the Netherlands and our budget is I think 4 to 5k max.
But if we could get something great maybe we can stretch that.
Got to keep in mind that we are planning a couple of upgrades at the same time so the less the better offcourse. But we still need it to be reliable.

1 Like

Are you containing your existing setup, but look to pushing up storage rating? Or full system wide upgrade?

If not mistaken, that line of servers can accommodate dual cpus [of matching make of course] and sizeable amount more memory

The current backup server is giving us some random problems so the server would get replaced.
We can use the drives that are in there.
There are 10 x 4TB WD Red sata drives in there.

Might be cheaper to go full new with some higher capacity drives. Most 3U+ servers with decent hardware quickly get expensive. If you go 10TB drives you could potentially even stick to 2U.
(Although that might be a bit tight with 3.5 inch drives).

I’d probably go for a second hand supermicro chassis, plenty of german ones ship to the netherlands.

Have you tried ServerDirect?

Unfortunately they don’t seem to offer large storage disks, so get one w/o extra drives and purchase these separately elsewhere. Their entry level 2U AMD system comes in at half your budget, so plenty of room to add drives. Remember, this is NEW, not used! Maybe ask them for refurbished systems?

(no affiliation, I applied for a job with them but was rejected)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.