Looking for 2x2 Audio Interfaces (and getting confused by it)

Dang. I’ll be interested to find out what works for you. I need to update too; focusrite and presonus were on the list. Similar needs: x2 xlr, or even ×1, ideally w/phantom power would work. Honestly wouldn’t care if there’s gui support/if levels were physical/manual - but I want a relatively ‘clean’ interface (currently using a Yamaha powered mixer; rca monitor -> on board 1/8"; which is far less than ideal).

I just wanted something that works.

My next attempt will either be the Steinberg UR242 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen. If all fails, I will get a used Behringer U-Phoria and call it good enough.

I am running a 2i2 first gen with zero problems. Thing is I only use it with one mic and I have a separate output, so my Rode Procaster is the only thing connected. But that works flawlessly in kubuntu.

2 Likes

Cool, sounds like focusrite isn’t off the table then. I’m pretty lo-fi when it comes to instruments/genre, and predominantly do live/improv recording, but I’m sick of all the noise.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen arrived.
Setup was super easy.
Install drivers, reboot (cause Windows), plug in, select, works (24bit/192kHz, 256 buffer)

1 Like

Nice. I’m interested to hear about linux. So far I’ve only used the older standard that goes up to 96KHz, I think it’s called UAC1.

I’m having a crackling/static issue in 19.04 w/ a tomahawk/realtek adapters - tried everything i could find online and the best I can seem to get is kinda quiet - tolerable for discord or whatever - but still annoying… are you able to use the focusrite to drive all of your sound?

You can do that in theory and I haven’t heard anything that would suggest otherwise. Personally I’m using it only for one XLR input.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this. I have a 2i2 first gen and am driving HD600’s with it. It’s noticably weaker than my Kemper Profiler. I’ve been looking at Headphone Amps, but maybe i’ll just upgrade to the 2i4 2nd gen then.

1 Like

The solution my friend is tsched=0.

/etc/pulse/default.pa, line 52:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

Realtek onboard audio HATES Pulseaudio’s default timing mode.

You will also have to tweak latencies in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

default-fragments = 3
default-fragment-size-msec = 3

Play around with those until it works. And if you haven’t already, change the default sampling rate if you have a high end DAC in daemon.conf too.

1 Like

Yeah in theory :smiley:

I did the timing but I don’t think I adjusted fragments, thanks!

Linux testing is still on the to do list. Kind of busy studying for exams.

The other thing that is kind of driving me mad is that seemingly noone made and maintained a simple WDM to ASIO software.
In other words, I can use output channel 1 and 2 in most applications. Channel 3 and 4 remain behind the seemingly magic wall that is ASIO to most software (except Ableton Live).
So if anyone happens to have a WDM to ASIO bridge that they know works and how to use it, I have a use case for it.

Why can’t you just use ASIO 4 ALL with it everywhere? I am sure I am missing something though.

Could not get ASIO4ALL to work at all.

Get Asio4all 2.14 here http://www.asio4all.org/
And the asio driver for the 2i2 2nd gen here https://customer.focusrite.com/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_range=551&download_type=software

Then it should just work?

Either I am doing it wrong, or it does not work.

Found something that kind of does what I need.
This lets me mirror channel 1 and 2 to 3 and 4, wich is a step forward. Userinterface is very clunky though.

I won’t get a chance to check itntoday but I can check my other PC with the Scarlett solo set up and see if there is anything odd to do hut I remember it being straightforward.

I probably should have been more specific: playback is ok, only the inputs/recordings are suffering from distortion/static. Ubuntu 18/kernel 4.15 and ubuntu 19/5+. I don’t have this issue on ubuntu 18 on several laptops so I’m thinking it must be the realtek adapters… consistent across the mb input and the case front/input. Tested on multiple mixers; mics; cables.

Well this sounds like good news: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-audio-crackling-linux-5.3-fix,40143.html