Looking at selling my OP8P and getting a Pixel 5, am I doing the right thing?

Hi All,

So I am looking at switching from, to be honest a beloved OP8P to a Pixel 5, why you may ask? here are the reasons.
I’ve really struggled with battery life on this thing, I have done all sorts, ADB, Clear Cache, reinstall android, disable 5G, disabled bluetooth printer services etc etc.
Now I am a heavy user, I use 2 sims, I use teams and outlook a lot, spotify heavily, youtube vanced a lot at home (On wifi).

But I still find my self charging twice a day, example my phone at 12AM this morning was 100% charged, I left it at the side of my bed obviously doing nothing, I was sleeping, woke up and it had used 14% battery overnight, like wtf.
So I used its dash charger to get it back up to 100 before driving to work.
I get in the car, im listening to music only, via spotify, the drive is around 45 mins, 6% has vanished.
I want to say around 4PM today I get ready to leave home and I have about 43% charge, I had a Teams call that was around 10 mins, but rest was spotify over bluetooth headset, nothing I would call taxing.
I get in the car charge it up while driving back I get home its about 75% ish.
Its now half 10 in the UK, OK i’ve used it for youtube, whatsapp, telegram, thats it really, I am back at 49%, Checking my hours active its been 13 hours, my SOT is 3 1/2 hours… after 3 separate charging times!.

I’ve asked on reddit but all you get is the white knights protecting OP, so you cant really get a good answer there, I asked on the OP forums they say its normal but OP them self say its not.

Please tell me I’m loosing my marbles and there is something wrong here, be it software or hardware.

I love OP, for f sake I bought their bag, call me a fan boy, people at work do ha! but seriously I feel after this sour experience and Samsung in UK only sell Exynos for their note series, maybe I should just go straight Google, get excellent software support, good battery life and features first, take the hit with the OP and move on.

What should I do guys? I have the Pixel 5 on order but of course I can always cancel/return the device, I do love my OP8P and it will be hard to get rid, but if its not fit for purpose I don’t see anything else really.

HELP!!!

Since you know about YouTube Vanced, I guess you can go the custom ROM route. I feel confident that you’ll find plenty of ROMs to flash. I’d recommend Pixel Experience as you’re debating whether to switch to the Pixel 5. My favorite is PE Plus.

Have you tried not fucking with it, and leaving oxygen OS in it’s stock configuration?

2 Likes

I have a 3a and, while I bought the phone as a stop gap until HTC releases something worth while since my M!0 gave up the ghost, I am actually surprised and really loving the Google experience. I still have most of the features turned off but still the phone delivers on experience, battery life, and convenience that does not show that it is intrusive.

Knowing that HTC sold off the good part of the company that Made HTC phones the best in class to Google, I am even more willing to buy another Google phone in the future when this phone A.) Stops patching critical security holes, and/or 2.) There is a Pixel worth upgrading to.

Hardly a solution when I have to start turning off things to keep it going for more than 2 hours.
There are reports of OOS being quite bad on A11

My question is did you leave it in it’s stock configuration when you got the phone?

1 Like

Pixel 5 is never going to have better battery life than an 8 Pro. Never, ever going to happen.

Also echo what others have said, don’t arse about disabling shit. You end up with processes using more power as they try to work with disabled processes that aren’t running. Same thing happens on Samsung phones, if you disable shit willy-nilly you can really tank battery life.

2 hours is crazy short - I get a full day of use out of mine on normal days, and even Zoom/Meet will go 4 hours or so.

Edit: If you want Snapdragon in a Samsung in the UK, then S10 Lite and S20 FE both have Snapdragons (855 and 865 respectively), and also 4500mAh batteries. S10lite is a good phone with 6.7" screen - a little shorter and wider than the OP8P, and the S20 FE is a 6.5", almost identical in size to an iPhone XS Max/11 Pro Max. But having had both Samsungs (work phones), and an OP8P as a personal phone, there’s little difference between the S20 FE and OP8P in battery life.

I have a 7 pro and sometimes go a full 2 days without ever plugging it in. I’m on lineage though and I dont mess with my phone much. I also do a lot to extend the useful life of my battery by limiting charging capacity to only 80% and monitoring its capacity in accubattery.

Theres a lot that can be done to extend daily battery life however none of the things you’ve done so far are going to make any difference whatsoever.

The bottom line is you should be analyzing charge capacity to verify the battery is up to snuff and trimming the fat in your usage if you want more daily SOT. Theres built in tools to figure these kinds of things in android but nothing really helps figure out where the battery is going than accubattery.

I’m going to echo others in that a Pixel is unlikely to be any different for you.

Pixels are great. Went from being a die-hard OnePlus fan with my OnePlus One to a Pixel 2XL and noticed immediately that google updates the firmware much more often on their devices unlike OnePlus. They also support their devices longer it seems. All of this makes it very dev friendly (latest firmware is built for compatibility with the latest Android version) so all the roms, even the unofficial ones are stable and bug free.

It’s just a better quality experience. I run LineageOS on my Pixel 2XL with a custom kernel and Advanced Charging Controller (dynamically adjusts charging mA rate based off battery temp sensor to keep it in the ideal range, theoretically increasing lifespan) with microG in stead of google services as well as Bromite system webview Magisk module to completely eliminate all traces of google and control my device usage completely. Pilfershush jammer app from f-droid appstore will also disable the microphone/hijack it so no apps can use it until you physically request it like making a call or recording a video.

Battery lasts 8hours with heavy usage (gps navigation and YouTube vanced through a usb c dac) and only drains 1% overnight on idle. I’ve also got a donotdisturb profile and schedule setup so nobody can contact me that isn’t on my contacts. Gets rid of those indian scam callers at 2am

Oh and the camera is phenomenal with google camera and all of its features. There are really good google camera ports for OnePlus devices but you get the native support being on a Pixel. All I hear are bad things about camera quality on the latest OnePlus devices. I remember the OnePlus One required an entire rewrite of the camera HAL to make it somewhat decent.