Looking at an AM4 upgrade, could use some advice

I can promise you 100% not, Ryzen doesn’t officially support quad-channel and as such won’t clock above 2166MHz with it.

eehhh… channels are not related to clock rate.

The amount of sticks is, not if it’s single, dual or quad channel.

Here is an excerpt from email correspondence I had with AMD at the beginning if the year on this matter when I discovered this issue. I tried 8 different IC brands, clocks, classifications, etc.

AMD’s officially-supported DRAM configurations are below for your reference:

DDR4 Speed (MT/s) Memory Ranks DIMM Quantities
2667 Single 2
2400 Dual 2
2133 Single 4
1866 Dual 4

When running 4 dimms of dual rank you can not exceed 2133, believe me, I have tried.

As I said above, that is the official rating, there are plenty of people that run it way above 2133.

Even after your edit:
That is exactly what I’m saying. Those are official ratings, of course they’re not going to tell you to run it outside of spec.
Remember Intel telling people not to overclock their K CPUs? Same issue.
That is standard policy in ANY major company. In customer support they will ALWAYS tell you what is official, not what is possible.

They spec it at specific ratings because they guarantee you it will work in those specs. If they tell you it “will work” outside of spec they are liable for that statement.

Team Dark Pro

Yet here you are asking for help from the community because in reality you don’t know.

If people have it running above 2133 they are lucky and the odd ones out. @SgtAwesomesauce is throwing random ram at the PC and planning to add more later, the odds of getting a clock above 2133MHz is very low, and since Ryzen performance is directly coupled to the DDR clock (Infinity Fabric) it would be a good idea to avoid this potential hazard.

You’ve searched for a while for this right? Have you looked at the date though? :confused:

Also throwing 2 different kits at the memory controller is very different from adding 4 DIMMs from the same kit. Which is exactly what I said above. Apparently you stopped reading after “Maybe, maybe not.” though.

PS: That thread you linked was well over a month before AGESA 1.0.0.6 which changed pretty much everything about RAM compatibility.

1 Like

I am running two sets of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) at 2933MHz, that’s two separate kits purchased separately, but same kit number. It is single rank Hynix die RAM. One kit ran at 3066MHz but all 32GB won’t run stable at that speed (although that was a few BIOS revisions ago and I haven’t played with adding voltage over 1.35v because I’m happy enough as-is). This is non-QVL RAM for my Asus Prime X370 Pro board.

cough… two different sets of dual channel at the same cas. All running at 2933. Just load the xmp profile set voltage to oc and adjust load line level to 3 and stable as it gets.Capture ram

load may not even be necessary :slight_smile: orginal cas was 15 16 16 35

different as in bought separately but same model number or different models and/or brands? Because if it’s the latter that’s actually impressive :open_mouth:

Same brand cas and model but two different colored sets. Literally not hard. I do remember the days when ram was a bitch. Things are much easier now. To be pure :slight_smile: One would purchase quad channel

Definitely yeah but you can get really unlucky even with the same model number unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

Very true but amd platforms have in the past been very forgiving.

Yes that’s what I meant above (quad channel in a box isn’t quad channel, its just four compatibility tested sticks).

1 Like

My understanding that there is a big difference between 4 sticks and quad channel. 4 sticks is just 4 sticks and quad channel has been tested and validated to work well with a certain config.

Yes “quad channel” kits have a guarantee to be tested for compatibility (with one another). How the memory controller interacts with them is a different story. You can just use them in dual channel, you might as well use them in single channel though.

It’s nothing special, just makes it easier compatibility wise.

I have two 32G dual channel packs (dual rank) running in quad channel at 3200, 3066 and 2933 on Threadripper though. Getting two packs of dual channel Samsung B die is not an issue but may require slight tinkering. YMMV…

Actually it was the second result in google…

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ryzen+4x+dimm+clock

And yes I noted the date, and also I noted that I am running the latest AGESA yet I still can not run quad dual rank ram at above 2133MHz, otherwise I would have double the memory in my workstation.

Perhaps it isn’t as bad as it used to be, but clearly it is still not 100% and should be something that @SgtAwesomesauce should be aware of.

Also, “dual rank” isn’t “quad channel”, don’t mix them up. Dual rank means the DIMM has a double load of memory and is accessed using a different method (bank switching), which introduces additional timing latency that can screw up at high clock rates.

If you can get 4x high capacity single rank DIMMs I’d say that you would have a good chance of success, but these are not so common and are expensive.

You said you have an RX 580 now… apparently you can sign up for MasterPass (even without a Mastercard) which would knock another $25 off this guy:

Just catching up… General rule is to get higher capacity with 1 DIMM per channel than to get 2 DIMMS per channel.

On X299 for example, if all 8 slots are filled, it severely hampers your overclock. If you try to increase voltages to compensate, you risk wearing out the processor and degrading it. If you only use 4 DIMMs with one stick per channel, your OC potential is much greater.

On Ryzen, that will mean 2x8GB kits. It’s also very fortunate that Samsung B-Die DIMM kits most often come in 2x8GB kits. Do be warned that non-RGB G.Skill kits will more likely be Samsung B-Die than the RGB variants specifically at 3000-3200. Once you go higher in frequency though, the likelyhood between RGB and non-RGB of getting Samsung B-Die increases.