Look what.. Look what you just made me do <OH..!>

Oh, a rather fabulous 4K 42.5" monitor from Dell arrived as well, which only got on my radar after a fantastic review by @wendell and the crew…

IMG_3819

PS - What is Ryan’s forum handle and twitter? Same for Krista?

@ryan https://twitter.com/pgpryan
@kreestuh https://twitter.com/kreestuh

2 Likes

Thanks!

For some reason, every time I see you post a reference smoke test it makes me think you’re hoping for smoke.

Even a 1080 Ti shouldn’t need 16 PCIe lanes. Your choice obviously, but x8 should be perfectly fine for to saturate the card.

1 Like

Haha… think it goes back to my bench testing of electronics, just expecting a transistor or cap to pop…!!

Actually that’s a good point, but what’s worse - x16 slot vs covering that RGB ROG logo in the x8 slot :open_mouth:

Oh, I’m sure. Plus, it’s exciting to frantically try to put the smoke back in.

Please surrender your threadripper system. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Disabled or auto is fine, if you enable it though it will not read temps correctly as it put somewhere around 20c offset, cooler. I enabled it and the MB reported my CPU temp to be 11c. I had an argument with a guy on the ROG forums that claimed his CPU temp was 18c with Enermax AIO, problem is his room temperature is 23c.

What you do want to disable is ‘core enhancement’. This will auto overclock your CPU to turbo speeds, 24/7. That in itself is not necessarily bad, but your voltages will be all over the place and too high. Much higher than needed. That will have a very adverse effect to anyone air cooling.

1 Like

That BIOS does not contain the new Agesa update. You need 0501 or higher to get it. Only 0503 or 0701 on Asus website have it. You should be able to use DOCP for your ram then, thus lowering your ram voltage.

1 Like

Appreciate the advice mate - I normally flash the UEFI first thing, but for whatever reason the Asus Easy Flash couldn’t get a DHCP ip (huh?) - I’ll do it the manual way on a USB…

Mine would not recognize being connected to the internet until OS installed.

Try OC 3.8 at circa 1.23250v. By manually setting it will stabilize clock speeds and voltages which in turn will stabilize heat. In real world and all my testing, 3.8 was the sweet spot. XFR causes heat spikes and OC all cores negates XFR benefit.

I hope you can get that stable. My confidence in Corsair ram is zero.

1 Like

Friday, 10th November 2017 – Cloning the boot Fedora 26 Install from the Samsung 850 PRO to a 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD

This was rather quick work, given that this wrote at almost 1 GB/s, which while it may be slow for the 960 PRO, remember its source SSD is not only the boot drive but also caps out ~550MB/s (read).

# Clone the AHCI SSD to the NVMe SSD
dcfldd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/nvme0n1 status=on bs=64K

However, there’s a catch. I spent most of the evening today trying to figure out why the NVMe drive alone would screw up booting Fedora 26. And then it dawned on me… dracut was the missing sauce!.

I don’t know about you, but Dracut is my least favorite program on the planet. That program is completely unintelligible and doesn’t even work as documented on the wiki.

reasons I keep wanting to move back to arch…

1 Like

What was even more surprising though was the amount of Googling I had to do to find how to fix moving from AHCI > NVME for Fedora… and yeah, it took a good evening of much trial-error.

Thankfully that 1GB/s write to the NVMe SSD made it so much less painful…

1 Like

Friday, 10th November 2017 – UEFI Update to 0701 ROG Zenith Extreme

Thought I’d also log steps taken here - dropped the CAP file from the website onto a USB flashed as FAT32

IMG_3872

Here are the DDR4 OC settings and some Threadripper tuning (CPU SOC) etc. I later bumped the DDR4 DRAM voltage back to 1.48vdc

IMG_3874

IMG_3875

What is ‘Enumerate all IOMMU in IVRs’???

CC @wendell @Raziel – Would this help with some IOMMU curiosities I’ve seen on this board?

IMG_3873

Success - The Aquantia 10G card & 960 PRO NVMe get their own IOMMU groups!

Setting “Enumerate all IOMMU in IVRs” as Enabled did the trick!

Nice.

I would run Asus RealBench and see if your ram is stable enough. It is a utility that comes with your MB.

1 Like

BTW I just placed an order for a second Zenith Extreme. SOOOOO impressed by the hardware conveniences but most importantly UEFI polish.

Going to remove the Gigabyte board and most likely sell it (may be on the forums here) or eBay it off.

Will do - I will be running a host of stability tests a la Win 10 soon from -

• Cinebench
  • AIDA64
  • 3D Mark Timespy/Firestrike
  • Unigen valley
  • Tomb Raid benchmark
    plus actual game time - stress CPU/RAM/GPU…
1 Like

What about the Gigabyte board don’t you like? I’m almost ready to build a TR system. If you’re interested in selling here, I’d consider it if it’s not going to be problematic for passthrough.

It’s a pretty decent board - my only complaints would be that it seems like Gigabyte aren’t pumping out as many UEFI updates.

Plus, the DIMM.2 feature on the ROG is handy as I hate having to remove GPUs just to swap M.2 sticks. The DIMM.2 lets me swap 2 sticks if/when needed. It already came in super handy when cloning my Fedora 26 boot volume and migrating to the NVMe stick in the Zenith box.

Sure, I’ll PM you.