Long Term Computer Mouse

The RMB of my Deathadder chroma is finally showing its age. It works intermittently, so there is a possibility of fixing it (maybe).

Taking this into consideration: Which mouse do you think has the best trade off between performance and durability? (e.g. I have an old Dell XPS mouse that is apparently built like a tank but I dont think I would ever use it for gaming or productivity).

I’ve been using my Logitech G500 for the last 6 years or so, and have little reason to change. Hope you’re able to find a mouse you like, has all the buttons you need, and lasts for a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using a Logi G502 for a long time… it’s so good I now own a couple - one at home and one in the office.

1 Like

I really can’t speak to longevity versus utility. My mouse is in my hand all the time and it has moving parts, so it’s not going to last forever.

I use G502s at home and work also. Given that you can find them for like forty bucks, as long as they last a couple years, that’s good enough for me. I’m not looking to hand them down to my grandchildren.

For the right-click/left-click, you can try reconditioning the springs that are located inside the switch. It worked for me. I can find you examples of the process (videos) on YT if you need them. This worked for me.

As for the middle-mouse button, a little WD-40 saturating the switch for a bit worked. WD-40 is an anti corrosive material. It can clean any corrosion that is often found on the switch; this can restore the quality of the contact in the switch.

1 Like

With a little skill and soldering iron you can replace the entire microswitch.
I advise you to take the mouse apart first, as microswitches have different pin layouts and behaviour (connect / disconnect on click).

I have done this multiple times, replaced switches in Logitech mice for friends with Omron branded ones, and I have never seen those mice again. Aftermarket switches might be little stiffer / noisier, especially comparing to old wornout switches, so changing both of them at the same time might be a good idea.

Btw, those omrons seem to last longer than original switches.

2 Likes

The new deathadder elite is a wrist strain… The g502 seems to do it right.

Still using the Razer Oroborous I bought in 2012 - still going strong, although the battery died so its always used in wired mode

Using the Logitech G502 since late-2013/early-2014 or so… I’ve slammed it pretty much full strength on my desk in rage multiple times and I am still using it today.

1 Like

Been using a Logitech G600 for awhile, mostly because it has a lot of buttons. Really heavy for a mouse but better precision with higher sensitivity.

I have a drawer filled with about a dozen mice. 99% a waste of money.

So I say use a mouse that’s comfortable for you and don’t worry about how long it will last. I’ve seen mouse build quality and “feel” vary over the lifetime of the product, presumably because manufacturing is either sent out to a different source or components are altered to lower costs. Meaning a mouse someone recommends might differ from the mouse on the market today.

Personally, I’ve never noticed any correlation between mouse price and whether or not I like using it.

Honestly, my last mouse (before I got my G400s) was some 6€ A4 tech. It lasted 2 years… No need to spend 40$. If I spend 40$ I will expect much more than 2 years…

I’ve only been abble to use 3 mice for over a year so far, the lowly Logitech M90 from my job, my very first Logitech M570 trackball and my first Corsair M65 (back when it wasn’t called pro and had an Avago laser sensor).
My current ones i intend to keep, “the ones” being the Corsair M65 Pro (PWM3360 sensor) and Elecom HUGE trackball.

Thank you, this actually fixed my RMB. Much appreciated.

1 Like