London Met Police's 18,000 Windows XP PCs is a disaster waiting to happen -

The majority of PCs used by the London Metropolitan Police are still running Windows XP, which has been completely unsupported since 2014. The London Metropolitan Police are still using around 18,000 PCs powered by Windows XP which truly is a horrifying number. The police force has already started upgrading its PCs from Windows XP — but rather than upgrading to Windows 10, the force is upgrading the PCs to Windows 8.1 instead. The force was initially planning to get all of the Windows XP PCs to Windows 8 by March 2016 but that was a failed attempt.

Right now, more than 14,000 PCs are powered by Windows 8.1 at the London Metropolitan Police service. And what about Windows 10? Only 8 PCs at the police force are powered by the most secure version of Windows right now. Steve O’Connell, the spokesman of the 0Conservative London Assembly said in a statement:

_ “The Met is working towards upgrading its software, but in its current state it’s like a fish swimming in a pool of sharks. It is vital the Met is given the resources to step up its upgrade timeline before we see another cyber-attack with nationwide security implications.”_

1 Like

XP, wow. I was misinformed. https://youtu.be/FxIUs-pQBjk?t=46

6 Likes

Than you @_adrian ! That was funny as hell !

Knowing the reality though is worse, in all possibility could have been Windows ME at the time knowing how out of date police equipment can be.

It's not really a big deal as long as they are getting the extended patches. The flaw the ransomware used was patched on XP too for those that still get updates via custom support (or that registry hack).

Of course they should update ASAP as Windows XP's security model sucks horribly but it's not exactly dire.

At $200 per license...

How did they get their hands on the Chinese ISO?

3 Likes

a torrent on bt.digg I guess !

1 Like