Logitech Wireless Mouse (Unifying receiver) does not work when passed through

Hello, I have been having this problem for the past couple of months.

I have a Logitech MX Master 2S that I used to pass through to my Windows VM just fine but then it suddenly stopped working.

I can pass the mouse through and it shows up under device manager as an HID-compliant mouse and it shows up under the Logitech Options and I can even change the smartshift settings (how easily the scroll wheel unlocks) and it works but I get absolutely no mouse movement.

The back and forward buttons, as well as the thumbrest button and wheel click work fine but moving the mouse, left or right clicking or scrolling does not work.

This thing will drive me crazy!

Threadripper 2920x
ASRock X399 Taichi - NUMA mode
5.3.5-arch1-1-ARCH
Windows 10 fully updated

$usb-devices without passthrough:

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=046d ProdID=c52b Rev=12.08
S: Manufacturer=Logitech
S: Product=USB Receiver
C: #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=98mA
I: If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=usbhid
I: If#=0x1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usbhid
I: If#=0x2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid

$usb-devices after passthrough:

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=046d ProdID=c52b Rev=12.08
S: Manufacturer=Logitech
S: Product=USB Receiver
C: #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=98mA
I: If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=usbfs
I: If#=0x1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usbfs
I: If#=0x2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbfs

Edit: It works in Linux VMs.

Edit2: It works if I pass it through before the Win VM starts. If I pass it through after or if I switch it back and forth from host to VM then it does not work. I have tested it with multiple Win 10 VMs and they all have the problem.

Does you PC have Bluetooth?

You could have it passed throight before it starts and just use either the unifing for the host or VM and Bluetooth for the other. And switch with the button on the bottom of the mouse as a work around.

I am passing through the whole USB controller as a workaround but switching between host and guest takes a painstaking 10 - 15 seconds.

I am trying to find a solution to switch both the mouse and the keyboard at the same time as seamlessly as possible.

I don’t know much anything about VMs or how they handle hardware switching. I just have the same.moist and trying to think of why it is happening or ways around it.

The mouse can work in both Bluetooth mode and through the Unifying dongle was what I was thinking. I do that with two separate machines where my main PC uses the dongle and my other uses Bluetooth and I switch between 1 and 3 on the bottom of the mouse to swap between systems.

I wonder if the reason it is happening in the first place is that it shows as two devices to the USB controller. One that is basic mouse functions like the main clicks and movement, and the other that’s is all their own buttons and customisations. But that is just a guess

1 Like

Yeah I am thinking of something similar or that it is recognized as 2 - 3 different inputs if you look at this:

In my case, it feels as if Windows initializes some of the inputs but not all, ending up with half of the mouse working.

1 Like