Logitech Brio 4K --> Powered USB 3.0 Hub --> L1T KVM --> Thunderbolt Dock --> PC

Hi, all! Having some issues with my webcam…

My setup is two Dell XPS laptops, connected to Dell Thunderbolt 3/4 docks, which are connected to my 3-monitor/2-computer 10 gbps L1T KVM, which is connected to a powered USB3.0 (5gbps) hub (plugged into the rear USB3 port of the KVM).

I just bought a Logitech Brio 4K webcam, and I first tried connecting it to the USB3.0 hub. The light turned on the camera and the microphone worked, but it was a black screen. So I tried plugging the webcam directly into one of my Thunderbolt docks, and it worked perfectly.

Presuming therefore that the USB hub is the problem, I tried plugging the webcam directly into the front USB3 port on my KVM. Everything seems to work fine that way… until the video freezes. Permanently. I first tried OBS Studio… after a few minutes of working fine, the video always freezes, and I have to close down the program to clear it. Trying Logitech’s own “Logitech Camera” software, the video works fine for a few minutes until it chokes and the screen goes black – and you see a message: “No camera detected.” Again, only solution is to close the program and start again.

Any thoughts on (a) why the webcam won’t work at all when connected to a powered USB3.0 hub connected to my KVM, and (b) why the webcam is flaky when connected directly to the KVM?

Does the brio have a firmware update? Someone else here was for sure using it with the usb3 port on the kvm.

Another person has this monster powered hub that worked fine for a bajillion devices but that can take a little tinkering to get right.

You might also try connecting the kvm directly and not via a dock. The docks may assume no downstream hubs.

Is it the wd19? If so those have a bunch of firmware updates you need

You might also try removing devices on hid then rebooting the kvm. Some docks don’t like mixed hid and non hid devices in the same USB root port. Firmware usually fixed that though.

Hey, Wendell – thanks for the reply. Yes, I updated the firmware on the Brio. And yes, it’s a WD19 (and and a WD22, but I’m testing it all on the machine connected to the WD19), and its firmware is completely up to date. I don’t have any devices on HID (though I’d like to… another problem I’m having that I’ve been trying to resolve in another thread!).

If resolving this required me to connect the KVM directly to the computer rather than the dock, that would be a deal-breaker for me. So I guess this camera is going back!

It’s more for diagnostic purposes than to rule it out completely.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.