Logging Active Windows

Every now and then on my Windows 10 installation, a window will pop up for a very short amount of time, and then disappear. I haven't noticed a pattern for when this happens, and I would like to find out what it is, or what is causing it.

Is there a way I can log all displayed windows, so that I can go and check it when the mysterious window pops up again?

Can't help with monitoring active windows, but I can give you a few places to check.

Few things I'd check:

Active processes, startup folder, task manager startup applications, windows services list and windows scheduled tasks.

Do you have Office installed?

I have got Office installed, maybe its something to do with that?

And I think monitoring processes is a good idea actually, i hadn't really thought of that.

I downloaded a nice little program called procmon, and have applied some filters.

It lists any active processes and that kinda thing, and I've got it running in the background. As soon as I see this mysterious window, I should be able to check that to see whats going on

Possibly. Recently for some people its been running a background task ever hour or so.

check if that's it. you can alter it in the task scheduler under Task scheduler library > microsoft > office

1 Like

Certainly sounds like a possibility.
I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for pointing it out

That was exactly it!
Silly Office

2 Likes